Thread: using pnp transistor to turn on led driver

Default using pnp transistor to turn on led driver

Hi. Just wondering if this is possible. A way to eliminate an extra switch when conjunctioned with virtually any Soundboard. What I mean is using a negative lead on a master replicas board to on the base connection of the transistor and the other two connect the two switch leads to the emmiter and collector. But I guess only the latching setup would work. I'm just throwing it out there but maybe someone already tried this. I hate using dpdt switches. Any input is appreciated and happy holidays.

please search and read about the "2010 hasbro electronic lightsaber w/dvd" thats the most recent, but.. over the years there has been EXTENSIVE testing, widespread use and acceptance of the tip42g pnp transistor as a switch of sorts(actually more like a switched gateway but you get the point).

About the dpdt switch, most of the switches you see in use today are of the 16mm AV type.. even though you see so many of those switches I'd say 90% of them are only using 1 side of the switch.. its simply a cosmetic consideration.. truth be told you dont need a switch at all.. just pull out a battery(but man that look is...... not so pro).. Thing I'm really getting at is because this is a DIY, you can use whatever you want and whatever you think looks good(who cares what others think, as long as your happy with your build thats what really really counts). In fact check the gallery.. one of the newest posts has a FREAKING sweet (imo) real kill key(keylock, like a coke machine or something but its sweetness). So I encourage you to get outta that box.. it pays off (and hey.. no one is getting that saber on without the key... sweeeeeeeeeeet, you gotta check that thing out). I hope that helps, Have a Safe, Happy Holiday

EDIT!: here's the link to the gallery saber http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Cerastes-quot

EDIT! 2: here's the link about the pnp (or just an example of its use) http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...w-DVD-Tutorial
    Last edited by dgdve; 12-23-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: add link again

Firstly I don't even think this would do anything.
    Secondly, what is it supposed to do anyways ???

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I was thinking of using a Corbin driver.... but using the negative of a Joe Jedi board or sabersound or Mr boards. Basically using the transistor to connect the switch leads for the Corbin driver thus eliminating the need for an extra switch. Basically using the transistor as a relay. I'm just wondering and ill try it tonight. I apologize if I'm not making sense.

Ahh, that makes more sense now. Yes, that should work. The Corbin driver (or whatever is attached to the collector end of the transistor) would need to use a latching switch configuration, since it will be constant on whenever the sound board is sending power to the LED output.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I plan on using a TIP42 transistor with a Joe Jedi board (SW616) I have and see how it works. There are issues with the Joe Jedi and getting the power down sound to work properly using a buck puck, so I hope the transistor will work better. If you are using a MR/Hasbro FX board you really don't need a transistor, the board will output around 1200 mA and you won't get much more than that with the transistor with most of the battery solutions we use.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I managed to turn on a corbin driver on with the TIP42 transistor using a sabersound 1.0 so I get the flicker effect. All I did what connect the switch leads of the driver to the emmiter and collector of the transistor and the base with the - output for the led on the board. If anyone cares.........