Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2010 General Grievous Hasbro Economy Board Guide

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default 2010 General Grievous Hasbro Economy Board Guide

Hey Fellow Saber Builders!

The other day I was at target and found the new General Grievous Lightsabers Hasbro has made. I decided to get one and make up a guide.
    Most of the information is in the video I put together, It has a review of the toy itself, How to break it down, and How to wire it up in a saber.

Some members have criticized the mixing of the board and I agree, it is pretty bad with the motion sensor, but if you cut that out, the sound is pretty good!

One thing that is super cool about this saber is it has two sound fonts. Let me say that again… TWO SOUND FONTS!!! It has a light side and dark side font. The way this works is a separate momentary switch is attached to the board. When you press the switch down (and hold it) the sound goes from light to dark. Replace this with a latching switch and you have a dual sound saber!
    With a little modifying, you could rig it up so the blade goes from one color to the other…

On the same little board, there is another MOM switch that makes a different swing sound. It is mixed beautifully, but can only be used with the dark font…

Anyway, here is a pic of how the board is wired up…

The red wire is the momentary sensor switch... Sorry I didn't label that...

You will have to use the PNP transistor setup with this board, just like the 2010 economy DVD boards…

Questions? Comments? Adding your own feedback and experimentation results is desired!
    Major edit!!

OK, so after a few days of testing and wiring, I have come up with a diagram that will not only allow you to change in between the two sound fonts at will, but also change the color of the LED if you use a RGB setup.

This circuit allows you to turn on and off the saber on any sound font (SF1, SF2) setting.

so, here is the diagram, I used publisher for this one because I wanted it to be as clear as possible... I know, it looks bubbly.

You can add a recharge port to this, just look it up in the older thread.
    Keep in mind you may/may not need a resistor depending on your power supply.
    The LED I used was from dealextreme.com
    The motion sensor 2 is optional, you don't have to use it if you don't like it. It only works on SF2 (the dark font)

I spent many hours figuring this out, so I probably won't be to happy if you ask n00bish questions, especially since pretty much everything is answered for you above.

Oh, you will have to solder onto the switch traces for the main power switch like so...

Hope that helps someone...
    Last edited by cardcollector; 02-16-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

the second sound font has a lot of programming for the spinning thing that it does though, hence i considered it unusable when i wired mine up. i suppose if you forget about the swing portion, that would solve the uselessness of it. and the mixing isn't bad once you get used to it - it's just not the quality you would expect from any other board. also, the board i fried with 5.5V was one of these so be cautious...
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Interesting. Looks like they went back to the old school sensors for some reason.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Interesting. Looks like they went back to the old school sensors for some reason.
    Money, Money, Money..

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

I was wondering about it. My two nephews and niece are wanting a saber of their own. The General Grievous Lightsabers are exactly what I had in mind. It be awhile before I can build them (no job you know, as I have said in another post), Keep experimenting. I am eagerly awaiting your results.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    I was wondering about it. My two nephews and niece are wanting a saber of their own. The General Grievous Lightsabers are exactly what I had in mind. It be awhile before I can build them (no job you know, as I have said in another post), Keep experimenting. I am eagerly awaiting your results.
    I will be wiring on of these boards up with a rgb led to see if I can get a color change/ sound change in the board in a couple of weeks... I'll let you know how it goes.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i picked up another pair of these for future play/use. ^_^ i'll have to take pictures of the things i do with them.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Cool, Thanks guys. I'll be on the look out.

Nice overview Cardcollector. I picked up a couple of these and have extracted the soundboards and am trying to figure out how to add my own power on/off momentary switch to it. While the small attached board with the 2 mom switches does power the board on it does not power it off. Am I missing something here? Do you have any clues for me?

Blog Entries

the way the little board works is with a common lead (not sure if it is negative or positive yet..)

Then, when the sound font change lead is connected, the font will change sounds. Now, if you use the main switch leads to turn the saber on while pressing the sound font button down. the saber will activate with the second sound font.

Again, hard to explain, and i will post up a complete tut as soon as I get my nex TCSS order. (Sat, MON, or tues...) So bear with me, I ruined a few switches so those re on the way. I do have a rough diaggram setup too, I just want to make aure it works one more time before I post it....