Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: blank 1.25" blade holder dimensions etc.?

Default blank 1.25" blade holder dimensions etc.?

I'm loving the new BH but I was wondering why only two holes in the heatsink? Since there's no 4-40 nylon screws included I'm guessing those holes are for wires which means we should use thermal adhesive to attach the star?

More importantly...
    Total length?
    Blade depth? 2"?
    Will extra heat sinks be available to swap LEDs?

I never understood why the old one had holes in it for mounting when you need to drill a tube to go over it. Makes much more sense to drill and tap both together. I see the old one going bye bye....me likey this one much better.

oh!...I think a 1.5" sinktube version would be awesome too.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 12-15-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can answer the first question at least.
    You are supposed to tighten the screw in heatsink so the lense and holder are rather compressed. I used hot glue to keep my heatsink in place after securing the lED
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I know I listed this wrong to start with but it has been corrected.. This IS NOT for a 1.25" sink tube. It has a OD if 1.25", the same size OD as a sink tube.

As far as why the 1.25" sink tube mount has holes..
    4x to hold the heat sink in place
    2x to mount it
    1x for the blade set screw
    It is easier for most customers to drill 3 matching holes in a thin sink tube than it is to drill and tap multiple holes in the blade holder.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    As far as why the 1.25" sink tube mount has holes..
    4x to hold the heat sink in place
    2x to mount it
    1x for the blade set screw
    It is easier for most customers to drill 3 matching holes in a thin sink tube than it is to drill and tap multiple holes in the blade holder.
    That is the part that kinda stumped me .. how so you line up the holes if you cant see them?
    I thought that I could make a template by wrapping paper around the blade holder and poking holes with a pencil but since the OD of the sinktube is greater then the blade holder, each hole around the circumference would be a little more off then the next.
    When i get around to using mine, I will use the pre-drilled holes for holding the heatsink but will probably just drill the other holes through the sinktube and holder then tap them myself. Will save a lot of hassle I think.
    ...or am I missing something obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Rathan View Post
    That is the part that kinda stumped me .. how so you line up the holes if you cant see them?
    I thought that I could make a template by wrapping paper around the blade holder and poking holes with a pencil but since the OD of the sinktube is greater then the blade holder, each hole around the circumference would be a little more off then the next.
    When i get around to using mine, I will use the pre-drilled holes for holding the heatsink but will probably just drill the other holes through the sinktube and holder then tap them myself. Will save a lot of hassle I think.
    ...or am I missing something obvious?
    These are my thoughts exactly. I ordered one and wasn't too happy with it so I just chopped it up to experiment..lol. I have seen people make excellent use of them but I'm not really sure how they mounted them without using large untapped holes and giant screws. Even then it would be that secure.

Sorry Tim. I noticed the correction but it didn't sink in for some reason.
    While the 1.25" OD BH is a great idea for emitter options with MHS etc, I think the 1.25" and 1.5" sinktube BHs done like this would a huge improvement.

Since it is for mounting inside dimensions would really be useful.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 12-15-2010 at 06:21 PM.

I started by drilling one of the mounting holes first, maybe you could start with the blade screw. If you don't mind extra holes in the blade holder you can use a smaller bit, go through your existing holes and drill another hole straight across. This way the holder acts as a template for the other holes. Then I took the holder out of the tube and screwed it from the inside of the blade holder out into the tube, joining them side by side. I don't have one apart right now, but i can take some pictures if you wish.

You can still use a template pattern you just got to measure for the extra distance, graph paper will help keep things aligned.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

When we started doing this 5 years or so ago and almost every saber was a sink tube saber I made a lot of them this way using a piece of paper to mark the holes.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I hadn't considered using a sinktube blade holder in almost a year, and now that I recall, I must have been thinking of the difficulty in mounting MHS/sinktube adapters since you need 2 screws on each side. I just chop up MHS extensions for that. I did find the 1.25" sinktube didn't do much for me creatively, until I hacked it up and ruined it experimenting for a crystal chamber.

How long is the blank 1.25" BH...2.5"?
    I really like how much room it leaves in how you mount it. Lots of possibilities.

hehe Yeah Long ago it was ONLY sinktubes.. (great job Tim btw, it's definately not said enough how bad the big yellow box really was).. but if you have trouble measuring for your holes (since you cant see them) there's a nifty trick using graphing paper or just use a small piece of paper.. place the paper against the sleeve and measure for the holes(cut the paper off at the centerline of the hole), tape the paper along the bottom edge so its even with the sleeve and it ends at the centerline of the hole.. lift the paper, slide the sleeve into the sink tube.. overlay the paper.. use your punch to mark out the new hole.. Rinse and Re use. I hope that helps(well I hope I explained it correctly, but it works wonders believe me)