Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Blade Idea

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Default New Blade Idea

I have gone and caught the bug. Not even done with my first saber and already planing a second and third. If I could bend a blade, without collapsing it. Something like the bend in say, a Katana or A Calvary saber. Also I thought about using clear rubber tubbing as a diffuser. Now would the light travel up the rubber tube like fiber-optics? Is this at all possible?

Problem is getting the poly c to take a bent, keep the bent and not break with use.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Strydur is working on a lightwhip adapter which will use flexible light emitting optic cable...perhaps once that is offered you could adapt it to run such a cable inside a curved tube. Although a curved lightsaber doesnt really make a lot of sense theoretically if you just want something that 'loox kewl' it might be doable that way.

@Hasid Lafre....I thought that using a glassblowing technique. Keeping a constant air pressure while slowly bending the polycarbonate.

@Onli-Won Kanomi....The flexible light emitting optic cable idea is good, it could work. Why doesn't a curved lightsaber make sense? One of the most deadly blades in history is curved. Grant-it, it's got a lot to do with how it is edged. The Katana is a great weapon. But that is my opinion.

Anyway thank you for your in put.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

A curved lightsaber blade does not really make sense due to the whole concept behind what a real lightsaber is. Plus, if it is curved you wouldn't get the light to the end of the blade (same concept as a real lightsaber, light travels in a straight line) unless you use something like the light whip or EL.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

It is just a thought. I was thinking along the lines of a Samurai type Jedi. I guess that is how inventions go. Like the original name for a lightsaber, was laser sword.

I think what they were getting at was, while an intriguing idea on an aesthetic level, if one were to follow the canon of the SW universe, a lightsaber works partially on the basis of circuitously looping energy in a straight line. In keeping with canon, what form of portable power source would have enough sway over to continuously and consistently shift that circuit of energy and allow it to travel along the same path to its origin point? Then again, if one were to follow that logic, how the devil would we have lightwhips?
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

how the devil indeed... i'm going to pin that on suspension of belief and a continuously variable EM generator. as for why it doesn't cut through the floor, i'm going to adhere to wookiepedia's statement that it takes force to get through the initial cutting of things and ignore the one about the blades generally not liking to move and all the gyroscopic effects in the blade causing that...
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

I'll respond to that the same way I respond to people that question how some movies make sense when something clearly violates logic: "Pixie dust!"
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

and that's why i have a special place on my wall for me to suspend my belief from whenever i watch any movie. it spends more time there than in my head. ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other