Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Help

Default Wiring Help

I just finished wiring up first saber with sound, and I have a problem. When I put the batteries in the battery holder, as soon as the second battery makes contact my switch LED and Main LED flash on then back off and after that nothing will come on when I push the switch. The flash is very short and there is no sound from the speaker. I'm using the setup and wiring shown in the included diagram made by equinox13. I'm sure that I have everything wired the way the diagram shows because I checked it multiple times while doing the work. Any ideas?2010Modifiedcorrect with switch LED.jpg

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

please post pictures of your actual wiring so we can see everything too.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

What is the name of transistor do you use? TIP42 ?
    Did you confirm order of Base-Collector-Emitter and rating of transistor ?

Sorry for bad English.

Yes, I know I used the right transistor, and I followed the diagram above as to how to wire it and the 5V regulator. Unless I had the transistor and regulator upside down they should be wired correctly. Both were wired with the black square part up and the heatsink flat on the table if you understand what I mean. I can't post a picture right now since I'll have to borrow my parents' camera, but I'll try to get one up soon.

well you need to look at the back of the transistor package and find out which pole is the base, emitter and collector. not every transistor's poles are the same. i have a two tip42's sitting in my tool box right now and one is (base,emitter,collector) and the other is (collector,base,emitter) so try either looking at the box, or moving your wires on the poles to see which will give you what you are looking for.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

if only they could make these things to a set standard... they do to an extent, but i suppose not all wiring projects can be done the same either way...
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Thanks Gin, I'll check that right now. I suspect that might be the problem, but I will still try to get pics of the wiring posted here soon if that doesn't work.

Edit: Just to cover all bases...are the connections on the 5V regulator standard or could they also be different?
    Last edited by Jedi-Elf; 12-14-2010 at 10:28 PM.

unfortunatly yes. the 5v regulator's poles can also be different. this only applys to the brand. so if you find out how your poles are set up on your regulator and transistor, and stick to that brand you shouldnt have anymore problems with layouts in the future.
    also, wiring up a transistor incorrectly wont harm your led, so you can just solder and desolder to find the correct position.

Thanks Gin. I checked both the transistor and the regulator against the diagrams on the packaging, and they don't appear to be the problem. I also tried switching the collector and emitter on the transistor and got even less result that way so I don't think that is the problem. I'm just going to desolder everything and start over. Maybe the problem is sloppy connections since I had some trouble with all the splicing that equi's diagram seems to call for.

yeah prolly a good ided. i dont think i can help much more without seeing your wiring.