Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wiring Help

Just a quick update. The wiring pics will come after Christmas since my parents' camera has dead batteries right now and I won't have a new one of my own until then. I went out and bought another of the cheapy hasbro sabers last night (an anakin this time since there were no obis at wally world) so I have another soundboard ready to be ripped out and used if I need it. Merry Christmas everyone!

Thats perfect.. Everyone makes mistakes and parts on the shelf is how we all cover it up without anyone knowing(sorry for letting out the secret guys). and Yep Happy Holidays to you, be safe and since I know your already planning your next build be sure to keep us posted.

One rule in saber building is why get 1 when 2(or 3) is so much better... tip42's/voltage regulators can be bad right off the shelf.. its no big deal but an extra on hand is nice with all your frequently used parts

Exclamation

Alright, I wasn't gonna post here til after the holiday, but I got a bug up my butt and decided to try wiring my newly bought anakin board into my setup to see if it would work. the problem I'm running into with these boards is that sometimes the pre-soldered connections come off when my first attempt to connect the wires doesn't result in a strong connection. I'm including pics of both boards so you can see what I mean. On both the are places where the connection and a small bit of the green "coating" have come off the board. My question is...are these both now useless or is the problem somewhere else in my wiring? I have circled the places I'm talking about on both boards in red.

002.JPG003.JPG

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i need better pictures to tell anything...
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Elf View Post
    Alright, I wasn't gonna post here til after the holiday, but I got a bug up my butt and decided to try wiring my newly bought anakin board into my setup to see if it would work. the problem I'm running into with these boards is that sometimes the pre-soldered connections come off when my first attempt to connect the wires doesn't result in a strong connection. I'm including pics of both boards so you can see what I mean. On both the are places where the connection and a small bit of the green "coating" have come off the board. My question is...are these both now useless or is the problem somewhere else in my wiring? I have circled the places I'm talking about on both boards in red.

002.JPG003.JPG
    It looks seems to be print pattern on Anakin board is dead. You desolderd in-perfectly, I think.

How to desolder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpHe...eature=related

with the vader board it looks like you ripped off the solder pads to the negitive wires. this can happen two ways. A: your solder gun is way to hot/held it on too long and got it too hot and the glue under the pad melted. or B: the solder wasnt fully melted when you tried to pull it off. thus ripping off the pad. I did this with my vader board, and what i did, is solder to the little metal circles on the connection paths, since they are very close to the pads themselves.

Yeah you can actually pull off the track and soldermask if you pull hard enough.

What you need to do is scratch off some solder mask on the un ripped off part of the trace and gently solder directly to that.
    And try not to pull on it again.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

So, what I'm hearing is that the new board at least might be salvagable? That would be great since I don't really want to spend another $20 for another one. That would be $60 total just to get a soundboard and I could have probably found a MR board for that somewhere!

Skott: By solder mask, do you mean the green coating on the board? And will Gin's suggestion work?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Are you using 1 Li-Ion or 2? I would just use 1 Li-ion and get rid of the regulator. The econo boards work GREAT with a single Li-Ion battery. Also, all of the TIP42 transistors I have use the same configuration. 1 = base, 2 = collector and 3 = emitter. The soldering on those boards from the factory are very crappy and the first thing I do is unsolder them and resolder my own wires. I also have been able to salvage some boards that I thought were to bad to repair.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php