Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2 New PVC lightsabers, Destiny and Unnamed Jedi

IG-88, I could go blue or green for this one, I haven't decided yet. The blue does look nice though.

Bothrops, it is a combination of plumbing and electrical pipes and one electrical pipe joiner for the switch cover.
    Starting from the pommel end, The screw plug and connector are the same plumbing connections as used for destiny (see component pics earlier in the thread). Then instead of using a plumbing connector to join the screw pommel to the main tube, it is inserted into a 27.5mm ID 32mm OD electrical conduit which is the main sleeve of the saber. Inside this is a 20mm flexible electrical conduit for the grip, and at the business end a piece of 23.5mm ID 26.5mm OD plumbing pipe which holds the 20mm (actually about 22mm) polycarbinate blade.
    Over the top of the switch area is a 32mm electrical joiner with the inner stop at the centre ground out. The switch is a push fit into the inner plumbing pipe, and the sleeve and switch cover are ground out a little bigger to allow the switch to be inserted. This gives some protection from accidentally activating or deactivating the rocker switch. There will be some hard drive screws and glue used to hold the parts together. Unfortunately I don't have any more covertec buttons to add to this one.
    The flexible conduit for the grip is pretty narrow inside. I can only fit AAA battery holders in there.

EDIT

I have finished the design of the new saber called Leverage, and am just about to go out and paint it. I added a plate screwed onto the back of the grip area to add some interest in an otherwise boring area of the hilt. Colour is silver inner tube, switch cover plate, grip top, and pommel sections. Main outer sleeve is black, and the ribbed grip is bronze. Anyway here is the photoshopped colour test. I'll post the finished hilt when it has dried.

2nd EDIT

Well I have just painted and assembled the hilt (no electrics installed yet) and here are the photos. What I thought was Bronze paint turned out to be aged copper. The grip top is screwed on with 4 small hard drive screws recessed into the plastic. The silver hammereed paint didn't turn out quite right as the can was near the end and seemed to be flatter than before, ah well such is life. I would like to find a nice silver spray that keeps it's luster without staying sticky and coming off in your hand.
    I have decided to go with the blue LED for this saber. I still have to make the blade and tip for this saber and once I have done that I'll post the finished photos. That could take a week as it takes a while to sand the blade, grind the tip and put the film inside the blade.

I am happy with the design of this saber, but not the paint. I think I'll have to source some better paint for the next one. What do you think?

Last edited by Sloda Foade; 01-09-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added update to colour
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

Well it has taken me several weeks to get the blade made and the saber finished, but here it is. Photos were taken in moderate daylight with no flash. Hopefully my next saber will be a MHS one with a TCSS sound card... if I am lucky. What do you think?

Another example of Aussie ingenuity!!! Awesome...
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

can you give us the lengthh of the pipe and with

The Dimensions of the pipes are at the top of the thread. The blade was from 3mm wall 22.45mm OD polycarbonate tubing with old style rolled film inside. The end plug was hand ground from a piece of solid rod 22.45mm diameter with a ridge ground into the bottom to fit into the tube for better adhesion when glued in with clear contact adhesive.

Talking well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sloda Foade View Post
    bk - but wouldn't it have been easier to just go buy another piece of tube? After all the work you put into building it...ah well, maybe the rework will be even better eh?
    Darth Midian and ROTSeth, thanks for the positive feedback.

I'm afraid that I had to re-spray the chrome inner tube with silver hammerite paint as the chrome just wouldn't seal properly even after 48 hours. At least the hammerite paint seals so you can handle it without coming off in your hand, but it isn't as shiney as the chrome, more sort of sparkly grey.

I am still fiddling with pieces for the unnamed Jedi stunt saber. About all I know is that it will probably have a green LED. Maybe I'll do some piece placements and post them here, then you can all comment on which combination I should use.

(Later EDIT)

Ok, so here is the basic idea, as listed on the pic, O rings will go on the screw connection in the middle, the section just behind the emitter can be lengthened or shortened to suit (before being built of course). The end cap is a screw end nut with a rounded cap slid over the top of the nut. The idea is to get the rounded cap right up to the flange of the base of the hilt, but be able to unscrew the rounded cap to replace the batteries. The only problem is I would need 2xAA holders in line (which I don't have on hand).

The other option is just to leave off the rounded cap from the nut and just have the nut showing. This is what I did on Destiny, but screwed into a different connector.

The last version has just PVC tube inside the sleeve and the end cap, and the end cap has a screw through it into the pipe for retention. This would allow me to use a 2xAA side by side battery pack which I have on hand.

I want the battery part chunky and heavy to partially balance out the blade, so it can be spun at the thin section of the hilt. Sort of an older power cell from an early age. I want to round off the flat flanges at the connectors at either end of the thick connector at the cell area, and possible cut grooves in the thick connector to replicate the Mara hand grip.
    well, this is great material, but I don't know pieces when I see them and I would like to request a parts list.
    THX!

Sorry Hopper0500, this was 2 years ago and I didn't keep a parts list. Mostly I just wander around the local hardware store fitting bits and pieces together until I think it looks ok. I never finished these PVC pipe sabres as I moved on to aluminium ones with sound and crystal chambers etc.