Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Part Painting and Baking Tutorial

I wrote down the steps in list form, just want to double check to make sure I wrote it down right:
    1. Prep - Sand, Wash and Mask off areas you don't want to paint
    2. Prime - 4-6 Light Coats
    3. Let Primer Dry
    4. While Primer is drying preheat over to 200°-250°
    5. Base Coat - 3-4 coats
    6. Let dry-ish
    7. Put in oven, lowest rack, 1 hour
    8. Clear coat - 2 coats
    9. Bake 1 hour
    10. Done(?)

You really shouldn't need so many coats. Depends on the type of paint but with krylon spray paint, 1 - 2 coats primer, and 2 - 3 paint should do depending on the colour and how opaque it is. You may need more with reds, yellows, purples, dark blue and dark green or possibly other colours depending on the brand and specific pigment. Otherwise you will see the paint build up and the parts will loose their sharp edges.

Since you add a question mark I'm going suggest you wait till parts cool enough to handle since they may remain tacky until cooled. Otherwise you have the general process in good order.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 11-04-2011 at 06:52 AM.

just gonna add a little tip that a pro panel beater taught me.

if you get dimples in your paint job,before it drys spray a fine mist of paint thinner over it. (A FINE MIST DONT GO OVER BOARD) this will even out the paint...melting it into itself removing the dimples. so for this trick you need something to mist your thinner on with.

thats how panel beaters manage to get their paint jobs so smooth every single time.

anyway great tut Az
    }---------------{
    ]-----------------"Fullmerge Benzin"----------------------------------------:Beware of the dark side:--------------------------------------- "Fierfek"--------------------------------[

just to be sure, the temperature that is mentioned for baking the parts, are they degree celcius or fahrenheit?
    or does anyone has a temperature sugestion for baking the paint on a sleeve?

200-250 Fahrenheit. Temperature would be the same for most any parts, sleeves, screws, etc. Don't try to bake PVC or other plastic parts. You won't like the results (or the smell)
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

thanks a lot!
    and don't worry I used to bake a lot of polycarbonat to be able to bend it, so I know the results ^^
    Last edited by Batosai; 11-07-2011 at 09:19 AM.

what can I use in replace of an oven? I have a toaster oven but I can't stand the hilt up in that, just wondering would a barbeque work?

Take a couple of metal coat hangers and bend them into horizontal stands, one for each side of the hilt. Have them insert inside the hilt, instead of the outside so it won't affect the paint. It'll fit just fine in the toaster oven with that. A BBQ is not a good idea, you don't want open flame next to your freshly painted parts.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Take a couple of metal coat hangers and bend them into horizontal stands, one for each side of the hilt. Have them insert inside the hilt, instead of the outside so it won't affect the paint. It'll fit just fine in the toaster oven with that. A BBQ is not a good idea, you don't want open flame next to your freshly painted parts.
    hmm okay, does using a toaster oven affect bake times?

also how long should I let the paint dry before i bake it?
    Last edited by Rock22; 11-14-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Oh thanks a lot for the detailed tut man. It seems cheaper than epoxy layers. (Well, I must admit that tim's powder coated's still the best)