Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Part Painting and Baking Tutorial

The paint will still scratch. You should look in to powder coating if you're looking for extra durability. The sleeve material will slide over but it is fairly likely that you'll have to do some touch-up.

I just started baking, and in my opinion powdercoating does work better, with chip and scratch resistance, but baked spray paint looks more real to me IMO but that's just me.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

good to know, and thank you...guess the only way to know for sure is to actually do it...wish me luck..oh wait (!)...there is no luck, only the will of the force lol
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Thanks for this awesome tutorial. I bought a main body piece a while ago, and didn't have the funds at the time for PC. Now that I have this resource, I can achieve the desired effect. Again, thank you.

if you are going to paint it white, do you need primer? Also if you want to paint a design on it after you did the base coats, do you just bake the base coats then do the design and bake?

1.) Depends on the white paint. I found that even baked the paint rubbed right off my hilt if I didn't prime it. Of course it is entirely possible I did something wrong or it may have just been the paint I used. Have had no issues with the paint coming off with a primer base coat. Primer does come in white so you could paint it white and prime all in one step
    2.) Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock22 View Post
    if you are going to paint it white, do you need primer? Also if you want to paint a design on it after you did the base coats, do you just bake the base coats then do the design and bake?
    If I were you, I would DEFINITELY prime. The main point of primer is to have something for the paint to "stick" to. It is a little extra work, but it's worth it. So, yes. Use primer even if you are painting something white. Good luck!!
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

You must prime it. No primer, no stick. Aluminum doesn't take well to even primer (you should sand it before applying the primer so it has something to bond with). Take the extra time and do it right and you'll be much happier in the end.

There are self-etching primers specifically designed for use with aluminum. It's not necessary to use that type, but it is worth considering if your paint will be exposed to a lot of rough handling.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Will a Paint/Primer combo work? O know Krylon makes Prime and Paint combo in White