Thread: Blinky flashy blue sun of LEDs

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

Default Blinky flashy blue sun of LEDs

ok i know i'm going over the top on this one. but i had to at least build a prototype. 30 5mm LEDs wired in a parallel array - 6 ladders of 4 blue and 1 rainbow flashy LEDs. powered off of 1 18650 Li-Ion inside of a slotted double male MHS piece. each LED actually has the same specs - 3.3Vf and 30mA. combined, that's 900mA. i'm using a 1.2ohm 3watt resistor, and yes it gets a bit warm after a few minutes. the question i have is, should i continue? and if so, how can i make it work better? if i do continue down this bright path, i plan on building plastic spacers to pull the LEDs back inside so that they're well within the slots and find some sort of translucent material that i can make a sleeve out of to cover everything up with. ^_^ perhaps some white/clearish inch and a half shrink wrap...

gogo Android cameraphone! ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

That is a lot of bling to add to a lightsaber. It's a little much in my opinion, though if you were unable to find a decent quartz crystal for your chamber, this could make for an "interesting" substitute.

Keep on working, I'd love to see where this idea goes.

Could pass as some kind of power core, interesting to have some flicker in there too...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like The look alot! I think it would look better with some sort of chaser effect though.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

after running this through a sanity check, i've decided not to melt my aluminum parts and cut this array back to just 1 strip of LEDs mounted internally. that means i'm in the market for crystal chamber parts now. anyone got any handy? ^_^

seriously though, this is way too much unless i'm building a reproduction of an engine core to scale. i do have another idea that i plan to try out soon though.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other