Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chassis discs..looking for input.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Default Chassis discs..looking for input.

We are doing up some aluminum discs for making chassis. We plan to offer one size that will lock in place like a heat sink and one size that will fit inside the 1.25" tubes. Do you guys want some holes predrilled in them? If so what size and location?
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Wouldn't you want them to be made of something non-conductive? I always view the chassis as something to isolate the electronics as much as possible. I know for some purposes the metal discs will look great for show, but for functionality I would like to see delrin or ABS or something instead. Maybe both.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Tim,
    as you know I only really do conversions(So maybe I'm not really the best opinion) but I almost always make some sort of sled or chassis.. I use 6/32 brass coarse threaded rod. I then cover(sleeve) it with 3/16 x .014 brass tube. Anything larger than that has issues inside (not so much with the tube or the rod.. but the 6/32 nut doesnt like the inside of the saber). Currently I use 1.25 nylon washers (sanded ever so slightly and painted). But I would definatly show some interest in a tcss chassis system.. the nylon washers are 80cents each so if they werent to expensive I'm all in (and I've even started to possibly design a saber for myself again.. but ehh who knows). Thing is also I use a 4 post system for crystal chambers(It just looks more rugged, you know like a real weapon) but generally just 2 posts for the rest of the chassis(since I can put boards and batteries on either side of the center). so unless the holes were a service. I'm really not absolutly sure they would be perfect for my work(sorry working cheap is how I make money), that said when I do finally break out a build another DaviSaber. It will NEED the aluminum discs!! You know Dave luvs shiney (also to note in the 4 post crystal chamber system on some occasions I use 3 posts and use the 4th post as a dummy and run the main LED wires through it . I hope this helps but thats just one customer opinions and I say "GOGOGOGO!!!!!" (but yeah holes need to be custom ordered or make a page similar to how you have the PC page)

Sounds like an awesome idea to me - as far as hole location (does sound like a good idea as well) I'll leave that up to some of the more senior members =)
    Yub Yub Commander.

I prefer a 3 or 4 hole chassis with an extra hole in the middle (big enough for an accent LED or charge port), spaced evenly and about 1/8th of an inch in from the edge.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think maybe a ring of 8 holes around the discs would work better. That way they could use them in most any application. I agree with Fender, something non-conductive would probably work best.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    I think maybe a ring of 8 holes around the discs would work better. That way they could use them in most any application.
    I second this idea - allows greater flexibility.
    Last edited by Knighthammer; 11-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

I think maybe a ring of 8 holes around the discs would work better. That way they could use them in most any application. I agree with Fender, something non-conductive would probably work best.
    i agree with this fully as long as there's a central hole included for acccent LED/wires/etc...
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Blog Entries

Discs like this would be awesome, especially if they had the center hole also, plus if the rods were also sold we could use them to create crystal chambers couldn't we?

Perhaps the disks could have a central hole and two rows of holes surrounding it. The inner set could be used to hold crystals in place or to fit through the narrower hilt sections. I also agree that a non-conductive material like Delrin would be ideal.

Edit: Just a few ideas.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 11-24-2010 at 02:50 PM.