Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buckpuck/AV switch question

Default Buckpuck/AV switch question

I've been browsing the forums for several weeks now, and I'm feeling up to finally ordering some parts from TCSS, and I'm a wee confused on how to wire a setup with both a Buckpuck and an AV red latching switch. I understand that with a 6V (4 AA batteries) setup, it will require the 220 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistor. I have found many wiring guides on the forums that very clearly illustrate how to wire the AV latching switches to various soundboards and the adjustable LED driver from TCSS, and the resistor chart from TCSS clearly illustrates how to wire the AV switch using a single resistor, but I have not yet encountered a wiring chart that clearly illustrates how to wire the AV switches and the Buckpuck (4-wire, 700mA) to a Luxeon Rebel LED.

If there is a wiring chart that answers my question, could someone send me the link to it? Or, if there isn't one, could someone explain the wiring to me? Be kind; I only have degrees in social sciences and not anything useful like electrical engineering.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's easy. Look at the wiring diagram from the resistor chart again. You just wire the Vin- and Vin+ of the buck puck after the switch on the + side and switch LED resistor on the - side. Then the LED out puts from the buck puck go right to the LED.

DSC00257.JPG
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Wow. My first post and I didn't get flamed before I got an answer, nor did I get the ubiquitous "Just read more on your own" answer. I'm calling that one a personal victory.

Thank you, Jedi-Loreen for one of the most straightforward answers I've seen on here! I kind of want to facepalm myself now. After reading your answer, it seems too obvious, but then again, everyone knows the answer in hindsight, right?
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I must have been in a good mood today.

Plus, I was also picturing you doing this, after you read my post:

Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 11-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I kind of did, but then again, not having any degrees or experience in "real" science, I didn't want to make any assumptions about what I'm doing. Thanks for being gentle with your answer.
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Now that I have all my parts (Happy Dance!), here's what I interpreted your reply as meaning, J-Lo.

Lightsaber Build.jpg

How far off am I?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Not quite. There are several things wrong with that circuit.

First, you have the positive from the battery going to the switch LED then to the negative input of the buck puck. The switch LED has to have both pos and neg going to it.

Second, you have the battery output going to the buck puck reversed. It needs to be pos-to-pos and neg-to-neg.

Third, you're not using the function of the switch, at all, to turn the circuit on and off. The switch itself needs to go between the positive, or negative output of the batteries and the buck puck to turn the power to it on and off.

Here's a quick and dirty wiring diagram I did, done by modifying a diagram from the Store. I just picked one with a 6V battery solution, so make sure you get the proper value resistor for your own battery solution. And I didn't bother to color the buck puck output wires white and blue, but you should get the idea:

Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 01-07-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR

I bought a splice to be able to do this, but the problem is that the switch I'm using only has the four prongs noted in the picture above. It's NOT the six-pronged switch that all the diagrams I've found are about.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why is it a problem? Do you not know how to wire it?
    TCSS MODERATOR

I didn't want to make assumptions. I've reasoned that the two unnamed prongs control the on and off of power, while the named LED + and - are only for the LED. So if I am correct, then I am wiring all four prongs.

EDIT: Just tested it out. I was correct. Thanks for walking a kinesthetic learner through a visual process, J-Lo.
    Last edited by Doc B; 01-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.