Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent saber

Default Fluorescent saber

Fluorescent lighting uses a phosphor coating on the inside of the glass, that reacts to the UV light produced by stimulated mercury gas.

My idea is supplying the UV light through a UV LED, and using a phosphor/fluor-escent powder like this to line a blade.

Thoughts?

Could be cool, but I wonder how you plan to keep the powder in place.
    Also, isn't UV a bit dangerous? I'd definately wear when using it

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The mercury that is required it the very dangerous part. You need to have a very, very air tight seal and be sure that there will be no way at all the blade would break or crack.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

the gaseous mercury is the part that creates the UV light in a normal fluorescent. Since we're using our own UV source, it's not necessary.

Scott's right about fixing the powder though. It'd be the most difficult part.
    I wouldn't be too worried about the UV, since it wouldn't be much if any worse than a blacklight, and most of it would be filtered/absorbed by the powder anyway.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Phosphorus is also poisonous.

I don't see how you're going to evenly line the inside of a blade tube with it, either.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Find a way to liquify it and then evenly coat the inside and let it dry. It won't be durable for dueling though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    Find a way to liquefy it and then evenly coat the inside and let it dry. It won't be durable for dueling though.
    I wonder if you could do a heavy mix in clear coat then spray it on... maybe do a coat on the blade film before putting it in.

yeah, spray a bunch of a flat sheet of celophane and then roll it up and put it in a tube.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It would probably start flaking off the cellophane as soon as you roll it up.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

The whole reason we have to do the cello-wrap in a clean environment is because of how much static it generates.... I would think it wouldn't be too hard to apply wanted dust, considering how hard it is to keep away the unwanted variety.

This stuff is designed to "flow" when applied from a duster, implying that it readily separates when shaken into air. If you've ever put a fine powder into any kind of nozzled bottle (i.e. a condiment bottle) and squeezed it, the air escaping pulls up a very light mix of the powder (great for fireballs). I would think the same sort of technique would work with this.