Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: P4 - 2010 wiring check

Default P4 - 2010 wiring check

okay, so i wired up a p4 white to a vader hasbro using a pnp transistor.

now the saber is bright enough to been seen very well in the pitch dark, but in my opinion its not bright enough and i think my wiring logic is not sound. so here is a diagram of how i have the saber wired.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try wiring the transistor like this... it will work better.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Yeah thats the diagram i used to wire this up. mine looks a bit different in the wiring diagram but its pretty much the same.

i just wanna know how i can make the p4 brighter. in one of novastars post i saw he mentioned something about maybe using a capasitor, because the p4 takes a little more to power, and with the hasbro board i would imagine that voltage coming out isnt as much as it could. i bought a multimeter but it doesnt come close to being able to read anything -_- only goes up to 250 ma

if anyone would like, i could upload direct pics on the wiring

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Guaranteed that you have the emitter and the collector on the transistor wired in reverse. This will only allow the boards 125ma to go to the LED and not the full 1A. Good, macro pics would help confirm this, but it is what I think is wrong.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    Yeah thats the diagram i used to wire this up. mine looks a bit different in the wiring diagram but its pretty much the same.

i just wanna know how i can make the p4 brighter. in one of novastars post i saw he mentioned something about maybe using a capasitor, because the p4 takes a little more to power, and with the hasbro board i would imagine that voltage coming out isnt as much as it could. i bought a multimeter but it doesnt come close to being able to read anything -_- only goes up to 250 ma

if anyone would like, i could upload direct pics on the wiring
    Pretty much doesn't cut it in wiring- it has to be dead on accurate. If you want the LED to be brighter, you have to wire it correctly.

Pics would help, but you know you didn't wire the transistor like it should be... So you know that's the problem.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The base of the Transistor goes to the sound board LED - output, the collector of the Transistor goes to the LED + (with the correct resistor of course) and the Transistor emitter goes to the Battery +. Also, if you are using a buck puck you need at least 5 Volts going to it. So measure your voltage after the transistor to make sure you have enough voltage to the buck puck. (if used)

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

yeah, i drew the diagram backwards, but i had the battery wired to the emitter, the led wired to the collector and the three neg wires wired to the base. but i also noticed i was using to small of a transistor, so i went to the store and picked up a tip42g pnp transistor and hooked it up the same way. its bright, but doesn't seem to be as bright as it could be. idk maybe its supposed to be the this brightness level.

next post ill include pictures.

Maybe you're getting the P4 and P7 confused?

Just kidding...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Have you made sure the batteries were fully charged? I ALWAYS test the voltage of all batteries or battery packs before wiring them up to the sound board. I have had some bad batt packs before and also have had new akaline batteries straight from the store be low on charge.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I'm going to be wiring a P4 and a 2010 Hasbro board soon as well, and I'm just wondering how I would add an illuminated switch into the setup card collector posted above? Seemed easiest to ask here instead of opening a new thread.