Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What should I use for the REBEL

Board Lurker

Default What should I use for the REBEL

I would like to know what resistor I should use with a red rebel star and what battery pack? Can I use the same resistor from the Luxeon III or Seoul P4 kits? I don't know that much about these things. Thanks!!

lightjedi

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You might be able to, but it depends on 2 factors that you need to know first, to figure out what resistor you need.

What's the forward voltage (or voltage drop across the LED) of the red Rebel? Is it 2.10 or 2.90 volts? I see both listed for the various red Rebels. You'll need to know that to use a resistor calculator. You'll also need to decide what your battery solution is going to be.

For example, if you have the Rebel that has the forward voltage of 2.1V and you used it in a 6V circuit (4AA or AAA alkaline batteries), you'd need a 5.6 ohm resistor, which is carried in the Store.

If you have the Rebel that has the Vf of 2.9 and used a 4.8V rechargeable system (4 NiHM batteries), you'd need a 3.3 ohm resistor.

All the red Rebels need 700mA in current, but you really need to know what the voltage drop across the LED and decide on your battery supply to know what resistor you need.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Board Lurker

I don't know what the forward voltage is for the red rebel. I am just basing my info off of the TCSS product page. I don't know what a forward voltage is either. You must excuse my lack of knowledge in the field of electronics. I only know how to wire something together and how to complete a circuit. Other than that, You go way over my head. Thanks for the info though!!!!

lightjedi

The Rebel description says that the store only stocks the brightest versions of them, and the brightest version in red is the 102 lumen, 2.1v, 700ma. Rebel. so, that'd be my guess as to which red Rebel you have.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Board Lurker

Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to buy the 5.6ohm 10w resistor. Thanks so much for all your help!!! BTW where do I start a thread outlining the building of sabers from scratch? Thanks!!

lightjedi

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

When I looked on the Store page yesterday, I didn't see the red Rebel listed.

So, from that I had assumed that he'd already ordered one himself, since I don't think the Store was carrying them as long at there were the red LuxIIIs still in stock.

Oh well.

Maybe I taught you a little about LEDs and how to calculate resistor values needed for them, anyway.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by sev95 View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to buy the 5.6ohm 10w resistor. Thanks so much for all your help!!! BTW where do I start a thread outlining the building of sabers from scratch? Thanks!!

lightjedi
    In the section of the forums called "A to Z Build Threads."

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Board Lurker

I haven't bought one yet. I was waiting to find out the resistor needed from you guys. I haven't seen a red Lux III yet on the store site. They only carry red/o and amber. But I was going to buy a seoul P4 kit until I heard about the rebel stars. Thanks!!! Hopefully I can start using my jedi-fu to build a saber!!!

lightjedi

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You won't see anymore red Lux IIIs here, they are out of production.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    You won't see anymore red Lux IIIs here, they are out of production.
    I found red Lux IIIs at ledsupply.com.