Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Flash on Clash?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Great work skott. It is good to know you also got it to work with out that huge decoupler cap. Now hurry up and get it on a chip and in a saber.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Very cool...I think even stunts deserve FOC
    As do I. FoC is so popular nowadays that I really think it should become a more standardised feature, and not something that is restricted to CF alone. Granted, this is nowhere near CF level, but I think it's pretty good (if I do say so myself )

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Now hurry up and get it on a chip and in a saber.
    That is the plan

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I always thought you might be able to use a capacitor to do this, but had no electronics knowledge for the other required parts to put something together. Very nice work, Skott.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

New video!
    This time demonstrating the effect with a main LED and also inside a blade.
    Click me!

All I need to do now is get a transistor and an RGB power LED (probably a P5) and get this setup onto a PCB designer.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

This is really good work. Get it wired up to an rgb already so we can see the end product!!! Can't wait!!!
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Really a lot of compliments, Skottsaber!
    You know, this is the first time that a my idea has such a success: I have really to thank you for this!
    It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.
    [Jean-Luc Picard]

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    I always thought you might be able to use a capacitor to do this, but had no electronics knowledge for the other required parts to put something together. Very nice work, Skott.
    The capacitor alone won't work, as it still discharges its current too fast... but yeah, some years ago, Gravy and I were trying this (and I was trying to get Do-Clo to put something together), but it never got done.

The key/secret is the 555 or 556 timers, as... uh... well, they allow you to run a timer (lol) and "hold" the circuit closed for a certain amount of time, depending on how you set it up.

You can even do this experiment with a clash sensor that stays "open" until the spring/vibration happens and the circuit closes to allow light to come through. Problem is... without the/a timer circuit running, the contact is SOoooooo brief... you'd hardly notice it (as people have discovered before). So when you get down to it... the timing is key! It allows your eyes to actually "see" the flash!

Great job to you Skottsaber!! It makes me happy to see that the idea wasn't fully abandoned, as... I'd always hoped to get this setup on 7 sabers I had made for me by Don (many months ago now)... but again--it never happened. People basically told me it was "too tough", lol. Which I scoffed at--it's pretty basic electronics... and even *I* understand THAT, hahah!

Skott--e-mail me for an idea with this setup that I had for a "lockup" feature too. I think it could work.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Any updates Skott? I'm dying to see this in a saber (my saber hehe)! Keep us updated bro.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

LOL he's only just discovered this great new method and people are already on the edge of their seats and ready to put one in their saber.

"And let his name be recorded in the pages of History..."

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    The capacitor alone won't work, as it still discharges its current too fast
    Exactly why I also said, "the other requuired parts to put something together."

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.