Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compact two crystal chamber

Very nice!

Thanks guys
    The silver discs are from inside 3.5in hard drives. The knurled parts are from hw store. The lens is from surplus optics shed. The rest online metals.

Nice chamber, Sunrider! I like this new, compact version quite a bit. If I recall correctly, that's a laser illuminating the crystals, right? It does a great job lighting both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Canister View Post
    That looks awesome! nice and small too.

I have been playing with similar parts, if you find an old hard drive from a computer and take it apart you will recognize some of these parts.

So on the line of chambers I have been researching making a crystal from clear resin with a die, the kind you see here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BEya1xsjA
    Then before or while its setting placing an led in it to create an illuminated crystal!
    Having discussed the idea with the guy at the electronics shop he doesn't see and probs with the idea. I just need a spare $75 to test it.

I recommend you practice with just the resin until you become proficient at casting. Quality supplies are also a good thing too. It can be difficult to fill your mold without having some bubbles in there. Don't wanna waste your ...$75? That sounds steep for a led and some resin. Also, you would need to have the led suspended in place within the mold BEFORE filling it with your resin mix. If you open the mold and try to insert the led when the resin is partially set you're going to be pretty disappointed with your result.
    You will probably also need to sand and polish the facets of your resin crystal after it has set unless you're using a really good mold.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want you to have an idea of what's on your plate. I would recommend you experiment cheaply before investing.
    Last edited by Kasdarack; 11-07-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Slick, are those allen wrenches holding the crystal setting on the left or small diameter hex stock?

I love your setup sunrider. looks awesome. you should have one clear and one color crystal.
    Last edited by sithlordfaust; 11-11-2010 at 05:54 PM.

I like this version much better. I had no idea the other one was 4 inches. That's crazy long. Need a 14 hilt for that one..lol. The extra little details help too IMO.

Thanks. I like this one better too. Now if I can display it somehow without taking the saber apart. Hmmm

SLF The glass is pretty cool. Ive seen some crazy glass marbles. You can make some awesome crystals I bet.

Banned

what kind of crystals did you use for this? where did you procure them?