Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Painting PVC

With PVC, it helps to use rubbing alcohol to clean the tube after sanding. It really gets everything off of it and it dries really fast. Then you have to add lots of clear coating afterward. None of my PVC sabers have chipped or flaked yet.

I would highly recommend Lexan Bonding paint. I used it on polycarbonate and it chemically bonds to the plastic. It works great and seems to be quite durable. You can find it in your local hobby shop. It's mostly used to paint RC car bodies.
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by psab keel View Post
    I would highly recommend Lexan Bonding paint. I used it on polycarbonate and it chemically bonds to the plastic. It works great and seems to be quite durable. You can find it in your local hobby shop. It's mostly used to paint RC car bodies.
    i may have to try that. anyroad, tht saber has long since been retired. im wearing my second one and its all metal construction except for the overlayes which again....are painted....and wearing off. maybe im using teh wrong type of clear coat. im using furniture grade and it may be too soft or something.

in fact....on my next saber im gonna use engine paint and *bake* the s--t.

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    With PVC, it helps to use rubbing alcohol to clean the tube after sanding. It really gets everything off of it and it dries really fast. Then you have to add lots of clear coating afterward. None of my PVC sabers have chipped or flaked yet.
    i already said i cleaned it with methanol and i used 6 layers of clear coat. ...but as i just said.....maybe its not the durable kind since its made for furniture.
    Last edited by kage_no_mozaiku; 02-27-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having dealt with engine paint quite a lot, the only plus to it compared to other enamels is it can withstand extreme heat. Baking it may not do much....
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Having dealt with engine paint quite a lot, the only plus to it compared to other enamels is it can withstand extreme heat. Baking it may not do much....
    oooooo......do you have a suggestion then? id love to have it cus im sure itd work better.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am no t saying it won't work, just make sure to bake it while the paint is wet. When the paint dries, you would have to get it pretty hot for the metal and paint to bond. Engine paint isn't "tougher" than other paints, it just will withstand cracking and bubbling from heat longer than other paints.

I like all purpose enamels personally. They are very cheap and bake well.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    I like all purpose enamels personally. They are very cheap and bake well.
    ok....ill go with tht. thanks!

So... what kind of data speeds do you get into your saber?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent