Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Painting PVC

Default Painting PVC

I've been perfecting my painting of PVC with cycles of color coats, wet sanding with high-grit sandpaper, and clear coal enamels. It all looks great when it is finished, but now I am curious about baking the paint on to get a nice durable finish.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a safe temp to bake the paint at without causing the PVC to sag/bend/reshape? Or if it is even a plausible option to begin with. I know PVC is easily molded at 350-400 degrees, but I don't know at what temp the flexing begins.

Thanks!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

dunno the exact temp you need, but i know I can start to shape PVC with my lighter...

I have never needed to bake the 30+ PVC sabers I've made. I sanded and painted mine without primer, clear coat, etc. They are still going strong.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    I sanded and painted mine without primer, clear coat, etc. They are still going strong.
    Same here.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Indeed, 200+ PVC hilts made with only cleaning the PVC then paint. No baking required. I actually think that would be bad.......

Besides, it's PVC. How much work do you want to put into....PVC? Clean the hilts good, paint 'em with good paint, let 'em dry, call it a day.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Besides, it's PVC. How much work do you want to put into....PVC?
    LOL. Never underestimate the power of pvc.

Ya, I also have never baked mine-scary actually as 7 min. in my sauna with PVC was enough to bend it to make my son a toy bow.

I do, however, always use a primer. Once had a problem with a metallic gold looking good. It could have been many things (grease/oil/ect) that caused it, but now I do it standard. I have a big order coming up and since the pros that already commented don't, i may forget it to save some time.
    Last edited by Macemachine; 10-25-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
    maCemAchINe

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

baking PVC... i would say room temperature for about 12 hours just to let it dry, but you don't need an oven for that...
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

PVC is a wonderful material, that, unlike metals, is porus enough to bond with the paint with out the need for baking.
    If you using Gray (electrical- shed40) its rated @ 90*c [about 200*f] White (h2o-shed40) is rated @ around 65*c [150ish *f]. At around 250-275 it will flex for bends up to 100*, 280-290 melt, 300...you've got a fire.
    Id suggest using additional coats of clear to increase the durability of the finish.
    Last edited by Treach; 10-26-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: simplicity
    "Practice, the master of all things." -Augustus Octavius

I did several coats of Valspar Plastic Paint and about 4 coats of enamel clearcoat over it. I'm sure it will be plenty durable. Anyone with kids knows how much they like to abuse things, too But that's why I ask! I knew it would be a stretch, but now I know for sure. Thanks, all.

my daughters' saber did 4 coats of paint and 8 clear coat she dented the pvc but hasn't chipped the paint of yet....