Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Trilogy? (Not 3D Re-Releases...)

I agree.

I personally don't care if there is a new trilogy or not. Was I let down by the prequels? Yes. But it doesn't change my memories of the original trilogy or diminish them in any way. I've said it for years and I still stand by it. If Lucas would only let Star Wars be handed off to the next generation and move on to other things. I just want him to make one more great film before he dies and I really hope it has nothing to do with that galaxy far, far away. I want so badly to believe that there is still that brilliant rebel filmmaker within him.

As much as Star Wars is George Lucas' creation, it has become so vast and comprehensive that it now belongs in part to the world at large. If there were no demand for other adventures in that world, then there wouldn't be any more. In a way, it's sad that Star Wars has become a brand more than a movie. But in a sense, at least it will never die. It is really cool to see little kids eye's light up when they pick up one of the toys, even if they have no sense of what made the originals so special to those old enough to experience them as they were released.

Like any great mythology Star Wars taps into our collective consciousness and at it's core resonates the themes that every human can relate to. Sacrifice, Loyalty, Redemption, Courage, Friendship, Love. I can't think of a single film or book that has so permeated our modern world culture to the extent that Star Wars has. Regardless of whatever our differing opinions are on the legend he created, or the man himself, we can all agree that Star Wars is forever.
    Follow Your Bliss

Maybe I'm just optomistic, but I am just happy that I was able to watch all 6 movies. I would never have known about Star Wars had it been just a book (I'm not a reader). Anything that extended the story beyond the first 3 would have been welcome, whether it be the perfect set of movies that I picture in my mind or not. It could have just been left at the first 3 and we would never have had the privelege of seeing anything further, at all.

I'm sure I'll have the same outlook on the next 3 (if there are any more). I'll just be happy to be able to see another 3 episodes.

Even if it has Skywalker in it, the best EU stories out there IMO is the Heir to the Empire series of books. Granted they would never make a trilogy off of those stories because GL didn't write them, but a fan could hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
    the best EU stories out there IMO is the Heir to the Empire series of books
    Yeah, the Thrawn Trilogy is the only EU stuff I've ever read, and I thought they were awesome. I've always wished they made them into movies.

Quote Originally Posted by noslenpar View Post
    Yeah, the Thrawn Trilogy is the only EU stuff I've ever read, and I thought they were awesome. I've always wished they made them into movies.
    I've not read the thrawn trilogy but have read over 20 SW novels and they have the heart, humor and care of the original movies. That for me is what the attraction of SW is and made me more of a fan than before I read them.

I bet George has never read any of them and so doesn't see that the EU post original trilogy books have the essence of them.

Unfortunately his attempt at re creating characters as good as Vader, Luke and Han, only worked for Obi-Wan.

Qui gon was awesome and got killed off, Maul was the Villian Anakin should have been, Yoda wasn't as awesome as he should have been and there was no attempt at creating a Han, because it was impossible.

I could go on.

There are flashes of the brilliance of the OT, the CGI should have been kept to a minimum (like LOTR) and stuff with Jar Jar, doesn't doesn't count...

There shouldn't have been the forced lovey poodoo with Anakin and Padme it should have been more organic.

Anakin should have just been Dark rather than spoilt, bratty and fawning. Vader is NOT the wimpy child Anakin is.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

1. Star Wars purists need a diaper change. I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977, just like a host of other fans around the world. But it’s exceedingly hard not to laugh when fandom loses its nut over the possibility of another film trilogy, or even the failed ambition of the last one. Lucas makes a busload of bank (for Skywalker Ranch and charity, remember) by making movies for every childhood, not just ours.

The fanboys and fangirls who are sad that Lucas might tread on their cherished memories of Han Solo’s hairy chest, or Luke Skywalker’s petulant whining about having to go to the Tosche Station to pick up some power converters, or whatever, need to step back into the timestream and grow up. Sure, Jar Jar Binks still sucks, and that will probably never change. (Why do you think Lucas had him sell out the Senate by proposing to give Palpatine unitary executive power?). But Lucas doesn’t suck, nor has he sold out our sacred childhood fantasies. He’s the one that built them, and another trilogy will remind us all of that inescapable truth.
    Read it 3 times.

Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

The day Lucas sits down and has a press release regarding ANY of the speculation, is the day banthas fly. Only words spoken from the man himself, not his minions.

Show me the TV series...besides 'Troop' loops and the Fanfilm shreds...'till then, I'm happy.
    "Practice, the master of all things." -Augustus Octavius

Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

It's none of my business and I enjoy everyone on the forum, but all unread is people bashing George Lucas... Why? If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be doing this hobby... That is all.