Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Led assembly for PVC hilts.

Default Led assembly for PVC hilts.

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago Ingchao suggested to me to try & use a 3/4" copper pipe end cap for a heat sink. I thought about it & figured why not. It's multi purposed. I saves room in your 1" pvc hilt, it's a heat sink, & blade stop. You just have to drill 2 holes in the back for the led wires to go through. Here are a few pics on how I did this.

3/4" copper end cap, lens & holder, led, & scrap piece of blade stock cut so it will be flush with the opening of the end cap when it's inside the assembly, & a 1/4" notch cut out of it. It acts as a spring clip to hold the lens in place.

Insert the led, lens holder & lens, & your make shift spring clip. Everything fits perfectly inside. You'll have to sand the corners of the led holder a little. It's real snug, you sand the corners down & you'll be able to remove the holder without any issue.

Insert the led assembly into your 1" pvc, where you have your threaded insert in place.

Once your led assembly is in place just tighten down with a thumb screw or button head screw. Your led is secured & you have a blade stop.

Last pic was a little blurry, sorry. Thank you..
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 11-14-2010 at 01:43 PM.

thats exactly what i've been doing for my pvc hilts....

Great idea - so do you glue the led in or anything like that? (thinking of jay-gon's tut)

That's cool Jin. It saves a ton of room in my hilts. I wish someone had told me about it earlier. Knighthammer, no glue. The bladestock spring clip holds everything in place, & the set screw holds the led assembly in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Midian View Post
    Knighthammer, no glue. The bladestock spring clip holds everything in place, & the set screw holds the led assembly in place.
    Ok, sorry for the dumb question, The set screw just pushes into the side of the pipe end and basically pins it to the sides of the PVC right?

Like I said...dumb question.

Thanks =)

There's no such thing as a dumb question. I'm more than happy to clear things up. Sometimes I can make things sound a little more complicated than they really are, or I don't expain things enough. But as Jin said you're correct.

Thanks for the help & the tip for a PVC blade holder - I will definately try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
    Thanks for the help & the tip for a PVC blade holder - I will definately try it out.
    Hey, you're welcome. Never underestimate the power of PVC.