Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do hilts go wrong? (aesthetically)

Default How do hilts go wrong? (aesthetically)

As always, I'll try to deny my natural urge to write long posts.

Having gotten into the awesomeness that is this hobby over the last two or three months, I've considered many different designs, features, and ambitions for my first lightsaber. I finally placed some orders with TCSS for a hilt parts.

My own aesthetic tends very much toward the plain and simple. However, friends convinced me to bling out my hilt with some power coating and such. The final shipment, the actual hilt pieces themselves, is set to arrive tomorrow. Looking back over what I eventually ordered, I'm nervous that it will be too over-the-top. I went with a technically simple hilt (not crystal chambers, no shrouds, etc) due to my very limited experience and abilities, but I still worry that my first product will seem ostentatious, over-the-top, and a hot mess.

So, to the purpose of this thread: what ruins a hilt aesthetically for you? What sorts of mistakes (or rather, things that you would consider mistakes) have you seen in terms of the aesthetics of hilt design? What are the dos and don'ts of hilt aesthetics for you?

It's too late for my first hilt (which I'll post as part of an intro thread once I get it together), but maybe I can learn something when I go to design my second... I'm already hungry for more lightsaber

tl;dr: What sorts of things make a lightsaber look bad to you? How much saberbling is too much? What makes a hilt a hot mess to you?

Poorly aligned set screw, switch, recharge ports, covertec, etc.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

colors that clash and things that don't line up as well as a lack of symmetry.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Exaggerated and contradictory angles.
    Design keys that seem out of place, like an odd batch of "geometric" elements clumped together on an otherwise "curvy" saber, and vice versa.
    Excessively overdone themes. Not like the Iron Man/War Machine, or Superman, or M-16.
    I mean a like a red-and-black theme, or claws, just because they're sithy; not because they actually go with the overall feel of the hilt.
    Overly designed shrouds.
    Excessive hardware. Some of the BYB styles are examples of this.

Extra LEDs just because. I get the point of an illuminated switch, power indicator lights, etc. If it has a purpose (even if it's fictional) then great. But if it's a saber Christmas tree. Then I think it's gaudy.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

As far as overall design, don't forget that these things are supposed to be weapons. The design you choose should fit this criteria. Colors, same thing. Don't pic hot pink or fire engine red for something that is supposed to be a weapon. There are exceptions to this rule though, I have seen many sabers use colors that I wouldn't have that work for the feel. I have also had customers request odd colors/combinations against my advice so you can't control it all the time. If you want a guideline for this, look at our own weapon history. In the last two centuries, if you just look at firearms which have been our primary weapon: Brass, wood, blued steel, blackened steel, polished/chromed/brushed finished steel, parkerized finishes, gold (for ceremonial or collectible weapons), and more recently - earth tones.

For design shape, I usually go for sleek. If it doesn't feel good in the hand, why the hell would I want to wield it in battle? Size: This is a stickler for me. I don't usually like my sabers longer than 12" and will try to make them 10"-11" if I can. Shroud design: If you only have one shroud it should be a feature, something that changes the look of the entire saber into something else. It should fit the weaponish, sleek criteria. I have seen shrouds that are crazy just for the sake of being crazy and don't really look like "weapon" coverings, or even a decorative covering. If you have two shrouds they should complement each other. I have seen sabers with more than one shroud that do two different things, and don't go together at all. Avoid this.

Bling lights: This is where I depart from conventional thought. I like lots of lights on these things, just tastefully placed lights. I don't like random "wherever you can drill a hole and stick an LED" kind of lighting. The truth is, at the end of the day these are fictional devices and are fantasy. They are toys. I like to have fun with them and have something that at a Con, it says "hey you! Look at me!" even if it's just hanging on your belt. Bargraphs, rows of coordinated LEDs arranged in colors that go with the design and are sequenced by the CF are dead s e x y.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Well said FB very comprehensive post and I believe I'm in complete agreement...which doesn't happen too often..lol

Although I've pushed colour a bit myself, and I have to add overall balance of material, colour, cut and contour are huge priorites in design for me.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 10-22-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Interesting replies... I appreciate it.

One thing that I definitely think is important is, as Fender mentioned, maintaining the feel of a weapon with a design. I found this to be an interesting component of designing my first lightsaber (which I'm actually liking more and more as I work on it).

I know that there is a thread about this, but I'm throwing it out there for more opinions: exposed crystal chambers. Looking through builds on the forums, I tend to like exposed chambers... so much so that I'm going to attempt to include one in my first build, even though it would be more prudent to keep my first build super simple, given my limited experience.

Since the thread on exposed chambers covers the phenomenon of including them in hilts, I'll focus instead on what makes a good crystal chamber. For me, I like crystal chambers from the simple to the complex. The only thing that I don't dig about the chamber is if it's in or near the pommel of the hilt. I know that this is silly, but in terms of the fiction, it just seems off for a focusing crystal to be in the pommel given how lightsabers are generally constructed.

Also, rubberized grips... what are your thoughts there? I mostly mean o-rings, T-grips, and the like. To me, they often add a functional, martial look to a saber, but I'm curious what thoughts on those are.

tl;dr: what makes a good exposed crystal chamber, and what's your take on rubberized grips (o-rings, T-grips, etc)?

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

personally i like O-ring grips up near the emitter and T-grips towards the pommel. it just feels right that way for some reason. as for exposed crystal chambers, i can agree with you on putting them near the emitter - it's just good sense to stay with canon on that.

a note on the "it's a weapon" thing... yes it's a weapon, however i feel that it is also a sign of a jedi and a symbol of diplomacy first and foremost. the general design should reflect that at least a bit. showing up to negotiations with a saber that looks like its only purpose is to maim people does not entirely speak well for the future proceedings of those negotiations. you also need to find a design that speaks to you and tells a bit of your personality. i recommend trying to find that fine line between functional weapon, elegant symbol, and self expression.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Quote Originally Posted by equinox13 View Post
    ...a note on the "it's a weapon" thing... yes it's a weapon, however i feel that it is also a sign of a jedi and a symbol of diplomacy first and foremost. the general design should reflect that at least a bit. showing up to negotiations with a saber that looks like its only purpose is to maim people does not entirely speak well for the future proceedings of those negotiations. ...
    Unless you're a Sith
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~