Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do hilts go wrong? (aesthetically)

That also could relate to the period too. Like in the OT their sabers are all beat up and they're not involved in official diplomacy.

I agree on chamber placement myself...must be in the emitter half

Board Lurker

if i were to use a open crystal chamber i would have it just before a choked emitter, seems to fit there well aesthetically,

i aggree that they should look like they have a specific perpose and going over the top is just stupid but i do think that like previously said they should look respectable and also look to represent the user who made the hilt, as they were origionally meant that way,

as for the rubberised grips, i personally dont really like the o-rings, i did design a couple of sabers that have the t-grips on them and i think that they are quite comfortable, and should probably be used near the pommel end of the saber, and maybe have the addition of a obi ep 3 style pommel on the end, for some reason that to me always looks good,
    Vale' Decem

What ever feels good to YOU is good for YOU.

I mean just look at the movies, animated cartoons, comics, etc...

A lightsaber is something VERY personal, hence the LARGE variety of them.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    What ever feels good to YOU is good for YOU.

I mean just look at the movies, animated cartoons, comics, etc...

A lightsaber is something VERY personal, hence the LARGE variety of them.
    Exactly, "It's a choice. It's an intensely personal decision"
    follow what suits your personality and of course what is comfortable.
    Vale' Decem

Banned

Prongs, unless tastefully done like Dooku's. Makes it look like an uncivilized mace or club, not the sophisticated weapon of a Force user.

Crystal chambers. Honestly, for me, why would a saber builder wish to expose the most valuable and vulnerable component of the saber? Sure, they look cool, but "in universe" logic, they make little sense. Obviously I am in the minority on this one. As usual.

Flashy powder coating colors: purple, neon green, pink etc. How are these at all tactical? Would you paint a rifle these colors?

Board Lurker

i do aggree, i probably would not use a visible crystal chamber. it does seem impractical.

the only time i would is if it has meshing over it to protect it. a saw a saber on this site once, absolutely beautifully done, visible chamber covered over by mesh and part ove the exterior bodywork, itl looks amazing,

i think they would probably be worthwhile if they had something protecting them

and then thats only my oppinion, each to their own.
    Vale' Decem

Quote Originally Posted by JediMedic View Post
    Crystal chambers. Honestly, for me, why would a saber builder wish to expose the most valuable and vulnerable component of the saber? Sure, they look cool, but "in universe" logic, they make little sense. Obviously I am in the minority on this one. As usual.
    Maybe the crystal chamber is protected via a force field or something?

Starkiller's lightsaber had a very exposed crystal, and from what we have seen, he never had any issues with it

I think it makes sense to sometime have a crystal chamber in the open:
    #It could be protected via a energy field.
    #Being in the open might create a more 'powerful' saber (or less prone to overload, you get the idea).
    #Ability to quick change crystals (i read they can burn out in one of the comics).
    #It adds another touch of 'personal', which we all know, lightsabers are.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

in "I, Jedi" Corran Horn used a fake diamond in his dual phase lightsaber. it worked fine in his tests, but as soon as he tried hitting something the feedback pulse turned it into slag.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

I'm really picky about the length of a saber, you don't need a hilt that extends for 6 inches front or back from where you hold it, If I were a Sith, I'd be chopping at your saber.

"Ears" or whatever you want to call em, I don't like em, unless they are on a graflex style where they belong.

Unnecessary knurled buttons, jutting doo-dads or anything that takes away from the flow of your design.

I agree with JediMedic, Lime green and pink powder coating. What are you, a a force wielding skittle? Canon sabers don't vary much in hilt colors, they tend to use the metal colors (or wood) and black.