Thread: A simple costume prop went overboard

Talking A simple costume prop went overboard

What started with just me thinking duct taping two Darth Vader sabers for my Darth Maul costume for this year's company costume contest had me thinking, "the hilt is too wide". I found "sink tube sabers" on YouTube. Put the guts and in 12"x1.5" extension tubes. Then I thought, "the blades are too short and I want blades like those on YouTube". Found the TCSS and ordering most of the parts I needed to start an LED build and with cardcollector's wiring thread, I was able to rewire the Lux3 to a vader and an obi-wan board to complete my double saber.

Instead of a TCSS sink adapter, I just a used double ended PVC sink tube [what I was initially gonna use for my hilt] and cut its ends. Put the blade holder in it, then it fit right in the 1.5" tube.

For connecting/disconnecting the hilts together quickly, I thought of velcro/magnets/PVC fittings at the end of the hilts cause I just couldn't find a coupler for the two. Finally found a PVC 1.5" threaded coupler at Lowe's which holds strong enough so I can spin the whole saber around without worrying about one of them flying. I just can't get way too enthusiastic about it lol.

Of all the items I picked up from TCSS, my favorite has to be the premium speaker. I can't to wait to order the 2nd one.

Hopefully I win the contest, so my winnings get to pay for the sabers... or more parts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

very nice! ^_^ congrats on your new hobby too!
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Hey, those are pretty neat! I hope you win!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I'm happy to say that I've won the contest! w00t! Too bad not many people recognized me, especially the women- who kept calling me "demon" lol. Some of the guys figured it out when the sabers ignited. I guess people forgot about Episode 1 already.

Prize money paid for the 3 sabers I gutted for its boards and the blade holders. Not bad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Congrats man!!

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

congrats! ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other