Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MHS Main Body Style 4~Possible durability issue?

Exclamation MHS Main Body Style 4~Possible durability issue?

I was reading the reviews on this part and more than one person mentioned breaking this part while dueling. I am having a MHS saber built and the design calls for this part. Now while I don't plan on doing any "Guerrilla Style" dueling, I do want my saber to be able to handle spirited dueling at least.

Could anyone who has a saber made with this style section and has dueled with their sabers please chime in?

Thanks in advance,

-Kyp

Council Member
    Sith Lord

First off, Tim has noted in the store that if you don't want the last ring machined, to add it to the order notes and he won't do it. That takes care of all durability issues.

As for the stock part, it depends on where in the saber you want the piece. If the weak portion is connected to a pommel, it won't ever break. If it is connected to the blade holder, then it's not as good of an idea.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Where is the weak portion located? is it the end near the switch hole? Or is it the part you'd normally attach a pommel to?

Here is how it's going to be used in the saber being built for me:

From equinox13's post below, then this design should be fine, right?

-Kyp
    Last edited by Kyp Durron; 10-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

by most designs i've seen it's on the pommel end - opposite the switch end. if i remember right.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yeah, the weak end is away from the switch. It's weak because the section is machined down in the area with threads.

With your design Kyp, you won't run into any problems.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Smile

Thanks, man. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm glad too, because I REALLY like that section in the design too...

-Kyp

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

it is quite ***y with a sleeve like that ^_^

Do you think diamond knurling the larger groves on the grip end will make a difference as well?

knurling on the raised ribs would be fine, and also in between them so long as the hilt piece is situated in the saber as it is shown above. BTW, I was the one that built saber for him, so I am pretty familiar with that particular design.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I was thinking in between the raised grooves . But was also floating the idea of a shroud similar to the one shown above. Guess if I leave the last groove where the threads are like it is and cover it with the shroud I should be good.

Incidentally, if I were to slip O-rings into the small groves. Do you think a shroud would still fit?