Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All done, exceeeeeept . . .

Default All done, exceeeeeept . . .

So, my basics electronic info before I ask my question:

7.2 NiMH battery pack w/ recharge port
    Green Rebel Star (700 mA)
    2006 MR Obi-Wan sound board
    Latching illuminated switch

Should/Can I use the Adjustable LED driver? I have all my electronics set, have drawn my wiring diagram, and was going to settle with my simple MR Obi-Wan's functions, but when I saw for $60 I could match what the US 2.5 could do (minus the cooler sounds and sensitivity options), I had to investigate.

And the Saber Building Dictionary's link is a dead-end to the TCSS site. I can't find exactly what the Adjustable LED Driver + Add-on require, beyond it doesn't drain much power, and the dip switches have to do with the current value for the LED. Help? Please?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

First off, only use 4.8 or 6V for that board or it shall go bye bye post haste. I actually have not used the new driver (*gasp*) but I am sure someone else who has will chime in shortly.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

You can of course keep the 7.2V set-up, but you'll need to put a 5-volt voltage regulator (part #7805) between the battery pack and the board.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I am curious why there is a desire to use the 7.2 V battery pack, as a 4.8V or 6V would work just fine? (I prefer a 3.7 18650 for MR board myself) but why add all that extra work and use extra space with the voltage regulator just to have 7.2 v? Again, just curious.

As for the LED driver, if you think spending the extra $60 just for a slight flicker effect, more power to you (although I have never used one or seen a saber with one)

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Its more than just a slight flicker effect.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre View Post
    Its more than just a slight flicker effect.
    OK, then please elaborate. Like I said, if JGMJ feels it's going to be beneficial to the build, more power to him.

Ok, well its going to properly drive the led more efficently than the mr board which as not all mr boards put out the same voltage and current to the led.

Thought you knew that?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

I recently bought the LED driver and add-on, but haven't tried them out yet. My understanding is that effects on the add-on board are similar to those of the earlier rectangular LED driver (a.k.a. "Corbin driver"), and that, like that earlier driver, it requires 6V or more in order for the shimmering effect to be noticeable. But when it does get 6V+, it looks very nice indeed. You get the fade-in/fade-out on startup and power-down, and the shimmering effect. But whether or not you want to spend the extra money for those visual effects depends on your needs and budget. Since Caine primarily uses his sabers to beat the @#$% out of things and people, the subtle appeal of a shimmering effect may be lost on him.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 10-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    I am curious why there is a desire to use the 7.2 V battery pack, as a 4.8V or 6V would work just fine? (I prefer a 3.7 18650 for MR board myself) but why add all that extra work and use extra space with the voltage regulator just to have 7.2 v? Again, just curious.

As for the LED driver, if you think spending the extra $60 just for a slight flicker effect, more power to you (although I have never used one or seen a saber with one)
    if you youtbe "corbin Driver" You should find some pretty good examples.

Bascially for that driver, the more voltage, the more noticeable the flicker.
    Many people say they don't even notice it until 6V.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Ahh, now after reading this I remember now how the Corbin driver does indeed show the ramping effect as well as the flicker...I had forgotten about that. I usually don't read much on LED drivers. And I didn't know also about the necessity of more voltage either....ya learn something new every day!

Novastar recently gave me an LED driver to try out...I just may do that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Since Caine primarily uses his sabers to beat the @#$% out of things and people, the subtle appeal of a shimmering effect may be lost on him.
    And how did I get a such a reputation for such a "gorilla dueler"? Hahaha