Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CREE XP-E Q4 green? anyone tested?

Are you speaking about these tri-stars from experience? I'm just curious to see the opposition to what I've seen all over the forums here, which is tri-stars (of any brand) aren't very good for lightsabers. Lots of people use the 10W Ledengins, though, with much success.

I am only aware that the Tri Rebel Endors are bad for sabers.
    Xwingband made some sort of holder/heatsink setup that allowed the use of tri rebels, but I don't know anything more about that.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

the endors dont work because the dies are towards the outside of the star, but there are triple die stars that the emitters are close to the center of the star that are usable. there are optics for these stars available that can be used in saber construction

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    Are you speaking about these tri-stars from experience? I'm just curious to see the opposition to what I've seen all over the forums here, which is tri-stars (of any brand) aren't very good for lightsabers. Lots of people use the 10W Ledengins, though, with much success.
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong I've had a play about with 10 Watts and they are great but the concern for us brightness lovers is how much voltage they need, and the concern I've had is heat. Tri-stars on the other hand have had a good few hiccups, their primary example is optics, but like all things = they get better.

To get good results with any LED is down to optics, you need to get that light up the center of the blade as much as you can - which is why in my theory you really want thin walled blades, the optics used for Tri-Stars at the moment are 20mm in diameter - the opening of thin walled blades are about 21mm, so theirs just a hair of room to get that light up their enough to get good results.

10 Watts are fantastic when its come to this, 4 dies under one dome and optics that can shoot light up the blade dead in the center - on the other hand to get up their in the 500's you need 14-16V + and defiantly some form of good heat management.

The main thing we could gain from this is brightness at lower Volts and Amps - in the same sense the automotive industry use = the more things you shave off the more efficient things become

Looks like the PSU is coming back out - now where to find a Camera?

LED its self w/ the optics:

Last edited by Malaki Skywalker; 10-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

For green and blue there is still no competition for the SSR90 even at 2 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    For green and blue there is still no competition for the SSR90 even at 2 amps.
    Alright for some I might just go on an optics hunt hehehehe

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682