Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using remote control to turn on/off lightsabers.

Default Using remote control to turn on/off lightsabers.

Its not necessarily new to use infrared to turn on electronics. Just a thought that popped into my head driving home. Has anybody ever thought of using remote controls to turn on the lightsaber? I must confess I have zero research on the matter or why I even thought about it. Anyway I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the idea or how it would be cool or stupid to have. One thought I have is you turn on your saber with the "force" utlilizing a miniature switch on your palms or something. Any input or comments are appreciated.

I have thought about it. They make RC cars as small as hot wheels nowadays so It's entirely doable. I plan on making a saber with remote on/off someday but I'm sure I will be "beaten to the punch" by a veteran sabersmith.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

personally i would want to wire in an RFID sensor and wear an RFID tagged ring/bracelet of some sort. that way your interaction is simply getting near it and handing it to someone else will just seem like the force is stronger with you than them. ^_^

now there is a pretty kewl idea, im gonna start research on that tonight....

Don't see the point.

On the other hand, theirs a company that sells a wireless sound system for lightsabers. Now that i see the point for stage reenactments.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Many moons ago, Gundamaniac (Brian... whom I've not heard from in ages now) did a setup on his saber Obeissance that was similar to this in result. However, it used a magnetic switch.

But sure, definitely any system that remotely cuts the power line to the power on switch/leads and/or restores power to such leads could work.

In the end... it's just a switch. CF is looking for "open + close" (momentary), or a solid state of those for latching (either opened OR closed).

Quote Originally Posted by equinox13 View Post
    personally i would want to wire in an RFID sensor and wear an RFID tagged ring/bracelet of some sort. that way your interaction is simply getting near it and handing it to someone else will just seem like the force is stronger with you than them. ^_^
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

in that case if you pull apart a decent sized relay and use that as the sensor/switch, then glue a neodymium magnet to a ring or two, you should be set. i would want the RFID simply because i see the magnet being a bit too sensitive on placement. however, having said that, if you have a decent sized headphone magnet wired to a keychain and just let it attract solidly to the switch, holding each other in place and seperated by a thin sheet of aluminum or plastic, that should work too.

i just got an idea of making an external EM coil that acts in conjunction with another EM coil in the hilt to act as an external power source and power things through induction... similar to those charging pad things wired into a glove or something. think there's merit in that? ^_^

^^ Your avatar is a bug out lol.

what i think would be cool, is if you have some way to make your lightsaber have the same magnetic security system as some firearms.

it will only turn on if the weilder is wearing a ring with a certain magnetic fregency(sp?)

this would be like in some of the books, that some jedi kept their switch on the inside and used the force to turn it on and it was only attuned to them.

would be pretty cool. how to do it though.....beyond me

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

or like newer cars if you make a copy of the key physically it still won't work because of the tagged RFID chip in it.