Thread: First Saber Design

Default First Saber Design

Hello all...

So I stumbled into this a few days ago and after getting sucked into the forums and all the other information on this site and others for almost 2 days of work, I knew I wanted to build a saber!

Below are some of the design pictures of my first saber concept (sith). My intention is just to use this as a costume prop (belt hanging, no blade) and maybe wall display item. Therefore I am not planning to add a sound board. To give the saber some life and energy as a static item, my intention is to build red leds into the crystal chamber which "pulse" in and out when the blade is off and then are on solid when activated. I also will have pulsing red light in the pommel area. I think that will give it a nice bit of character without the blade and sounds.

At first I wanted it all black, but found it a bit too monochromatic. Then I tried to go back to the silver/black combo but couldn't find a combination I liked. Finally I went back to black but added a leather wrap to the grip to give it some contrast.

So what do some of the experts around here think? I still have to work out some of the mechanical aspects of the design, but it should be doable. Any gotchas or lessons learned that stand out to someone that I should consider? Also, does anyone know of a simple circuit to accomplish the pulsing light?

Thanks and I'll keep documenting the process further as the design evolves and hopefully moves into a build!

Silver / Black:

Exploded view:

All Black:

Current design:

I like it, do you plan on using PVC?, Aluminum? I'd like to see some progress, when you make some.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

I like the "Current one" the best. It's a very nice design with the cool emitter and all..

What did you use for these renders?

It's not a huge leap to put a lit blade in it but it would require some mods in the emitter section. While I really do like it overall I think the cage around the crystal is a bit bulky as well as the pommel but the fact that they balance each other is good. While I like the "current" one the best I think the brown would look best as a tarnished copper.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It definitely still needs work... To answer some of the questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Tahm View Post
    I like it, do you plan on using PVC?, Aluminum?
    I'm planning to use some MHS parts as appropriate and then make or have made the rest of the parts from Aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    What did you use for these renders?
    I did the design work in Pro/Engineer and these are just screenshots from that. I might do some more decent renders later.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    It's not a huge leap to put a lit blade in it but it would require some mods in the emitter section. While I really do like it overall I think the cage around the crystal is a bit bulky as well as the pommel but the fact that they balance each other is good. While I like the "current" one the best I think the brown would look best as a tarnished copper.
    Thanks for the comments! I agree, the color of that brown leather is not quite right, but conceptually I think a dark dark brown / grey wrap with a black leather lacing is what I'm shooting for. The pommel was really challenging and I'll probably revisit soon. The ID of the pommel is 1.75" with an OD of 2.2". Thats why it feels bulky. The reason for that is that I wanted to have the pommel "float" away from the main hilt so that I could have some red light bleeding out between the top of the pommel and the hilt. I might have to revisit that idea, but I agree that it balances the crystal chamber well now as well.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm going to keep working on the design. Now to work on the electronics sled and batteries.