Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Korbanth BK4 w/ CF V5 & 10W - Build log/Proggress

@ Caine: I ordered a pair of special LiMN 14500 batteries which Allaera recommended for my situation.
    Heatsink: Yup, a TCSS Sinktube style heatsink either custom machined by Tim down to 7/8" or I'm sanding it there myself if he cannot do that.

Cat sound font?
    It could have purring as the hum?

If I can find, I will most propably get some sort of a thick spacer to the "closer-to-the-pommel" transistor to make it more accurate, or maybe even a new transistor.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

So far so good Raf. You do need to clean up that soldering or you will be sending the board back to Erv' again really soon
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    Cat sound font?
    yes. yes! YES!!! and meow on clash! i don't have a CF, but i definitely want to see a cat font! i would buy it with or without a CF, though i have hope of getting one eventually. ^_^ a 'cat' themed saber with ears, a tail, and a furry blade! i think we can get your cat into it no problem. ^_^ just need to do some creative surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    So far so good Raf. You do need to clean up that soldering or you will be sending the board back to Erv' again really soon
    He actually needs to replace his $10 Iron

Cat sound font?
    Quote Originally Posted by equinox13 View Post
    yes. yes! YES!!! and meow on clash! i don't have a CF, but i definitely want to see a cat font!
    If a man with cheese on his head comes along right now, then this Cat font must never happen....

Oh... there's one now!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

T_T mya... still a good idea though, i think.

fruitcup of an update..

Got the 10 W from Mouser today.
    Heated up my iron and tried to solder.

First thing I did I broke off one of the diodes that are there for "enchanced ESD Protection",

Secondly I got some stuff soldered, but the pads are of such material, my soldering iron couldn't heat them up enough to attach the leads correctly.

On the positive side though, (There's always one) I've always loved the combo of black, silver, and red, we'll see if this'll be a dark-obi after all.

Bummer...I've heard they're one of the more difficult LEDs to solder so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself but it is a bit of a set back. They're not cheap or easy to find LEDS either.

It might be easier if you knew what to expect with some expert advice.

Well I've once tried to "weather" a scrap MHS part with soldering some stuff on it for some reason, soldering the 10W's is almost as hard as soldering tin to aluminium.

But I've tried, even with one die on, IMO it's brighter than my Lux III red, so not so bad as I first thought, as long as I can manage to attach the leads for the 3 LEDs succesfully.

Don't the diodes force power in one direction only? Not sure why it's necessary on an LED. I would think that it would cause excess heat.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

First thing I did I broke off one of the )#%/!=%:n diodes that don't seem to have any point.

At the present time I hate LEDengins for their pads and the pointless diodes, and most propably will use either a blue P4 or a red lux III till I can get someone who knows what they're doing to solder me a 10 w with 2+2 configuration.
    According to the Product Data Sheet, those diodes do have a point.
    "MCPCB contains 4 Zener Diodes for enhanced ESD protection"

Just thought I'd point that out.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 10-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!