Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Set screws on hilt threads?

A bit of threading loctite (the non permanent kind) will help you.

Loctite works great, just be sure to use the proper one.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Get the blue Loctite, the 242. It's the removable kind.

Don't get the red the 271, it's permanent.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 10-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Having tried locktite before, I try to avoid it at all costs now. If you accidentally put on a bit too much, you'll never get the parts apart. I destroyed $50 in parts because they wouldn't come apart after I locktite'd them.

I like using set screws. I'll try and make them incognito though. Like on my Luke ROTJ V2, the screw that held the cone knob on locked the pommel in place and the clamp screw held the grip on. If you do it this way, no one will ever know, and it's easy to get the parts apart again.

My 2 cents
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Or try some teflon tape from the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acerocket View Post
    Or try some teflon tape from the plumbing section of your local hardware store.
    i completely forgot about that! and after all the plumbing work i did growing up too... this would turn it relatively water tight as well i would think - at least on the seams you used it on anyway.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used locktight once and will never use it again. It makes a mess, is to permanent for saber building (using the blue kind), and make a job look really bad.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I actually figured out what my problem was.
    Its really only the pommel having the issue, and its because of the way I have my sound chasis mounted in the saber. I wasn't turning the pommel all the way because the chasis would move due to only 1 screw holding the top half in place (MRFX board and tube). Need to apply 1 more screw and I'll be hunky dorey.
    Momma in law: If this printer keeps printing the same thing I'm going to spit nickles!

Me: if you start spitting nickles I'm coming over with a bucket!

If it keeps unscrewing on you, try the teflon tape. Works great on plumbing and high-pressure hose.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Usually as long as you can screw the parts all the way together they will work fine. Now if for some reason the parts are not all the way together and tight then they may keep getting loose.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Make sure that if you use loctite you use the medium strength loctite blue, not the red, as red is almost permanent and should not be used on Aluminum (bond is stronger than aluminum. heck if you can fin the low strength (I think green?) that should work just fine.