Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Momentary vs. latching switch???

Default Momentary vs. latching switch???

Well, I did a lot of reading and research the last couple of weeks. I have decided that apart from buying some sabers, I want to make one on my own. What I am really struggling with is the right choice of switch. For some reason I am not getting the difference between a momentary and latching switch right. Maybe it is a language barrier (me beeing German). Could somebody help me or show me a thread where it is explained.
    From what I understand is, that you need to use a momentary switch for most soundboards. Can I use a momentary switch without a soundboard, too? Or do I need to take a latching switch then?

you will need a latching switch to turn the power to the led on unless you want to always hold the button

some soundboards take a mom switch like the 2010 hasbro board

mr boards require a latching switch

hope that helps

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thank you for the help.

OK, let's see if I got this right.

No soundboard = latching switch
    MR soundboard = latching switch
    2010 Hasbro board = momentary switch

What about Ultrasound, PC and CF?

And what if I use a Buck Puck / driver?

A buck puck would need a latching switch.

Unless things have changed with the newer versions of CF (later than version 3) you can use either latching or momentary switches for the main power up/down switch as it's configurable in a file stored on the memory card.The aux switch should be momentary.

Ultrasound, if I remember correctly, requires a momentary switch.
    LOCKHEED

2010 hasbro eco board, anakin version = latching switch.

Don't know why people keep saying mom switch... i got 2 of those boards installed with latching switches, works perfectly (and soon a third).

Unless Tim has been shipping momentary switch to me all this time
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Well seeing as the actual TOYS themselves use momentaries, I would suggest you use one with them.
    Besides, I prefer momentary switches. They don't make an annoying "click" sound when you turn on your saber.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    2010 hasbro eco board, anakin version = latching switch.

Don't know why people keep saying mom switch... i got 2 of those boards installed with latching switches, works perfectly (and soon a third).

Unless Tim has been shipping momentary switch to me all this time

i just wired the vader one up and it takes mom switch not latching

not sure why yours does unless Tim sent you mom by mistake

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

on the subject of switches, i saw a line of sensor momentary switches today at a shop in Akihabara. some of them would make excellent grip-style switches and didn't take much pressure to trigger either. the control box was rather large though - i don't think it would fit into a tube very well without some creative cutting.

and who says you can't have both styles of switches? i had a spare latching switch and it works fairly ok on that 2010 yoda board i have... i just have to turn it off and back on to trip the circuits on or off again. and if it's on when i apply power to start with it makes a 'no' sound. ^_^ i tried wiring it straight through. it said no.