Thread: LED choice question

Default LED choice question

I have been reading on the forums (here and elsewhere), in manuals, on vendor websites (and even spoke with sales reps, who were useless...) and everywhere else I can find to decide on which LEDs I want to put on my next saber.

My question is this:

What is the difference in the Deep Red and Red LEDs, as well as the Blue vs Royal Blue? I know that the deep-red and royal-blue reach into the UV range, so all of the light they produce is not ranged in lumens, and the obvious slight color difference, but what does one actually offer over the other? Do the royal blue and deep red add to the richness of the colors, or is it just a pure "the color is more red or more blue" type of difference.

Thanks!

Most people agree that royal blue LEDs will create a better color mix in an RGB setup than a blue one will. Blue LEDs tend to have too much green in them that make them less accurate when mixing. Blues are brighter than royal blues, however, for the reason you listed.

I haven't heard any defendable reasons to use deep red instead of red, except personal preference. They are dimmer, and don't really enhance color mixing IMHO.

Deep Reds are just a darker shade of red.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you much. Those are the same conclusion to which I came.