Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luke-SkyMarcher's "New Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    Did you make the plans for it, or get them from somewhere else? Is it a constant current driver? I am definitely curious.
    As am I.
    Awesome work!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Its good to see you are still making Sabers.I don't care for the design much, but look forward to seeing the build process!
    Yeah, the design's not really my favorite either, but the customer likes it, and I guess that's the important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    "make your own driver"?
    Did you make the plans for it, or get them from somewhere else? Is it a constant current driver? I am definitely curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    As am I.
    Awesome work!
    I did not make the plans... they're over on the FX saber forums, with all the necessary details.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I hope to do some of the powder coating this afternoon.

Luke

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Good work man, not easy to do this sort of thing from scratch.

Personally I think the pommel is a bit safe, but I understand the young man had a budget.

I'd maybe loose the clamp for this saber, or move it up to the claws and have another single claw type going down beyond the bottom of the pommel.

Give it some egde.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Thanks for the design advice, I do appreciate it - it helps me know how I can improve.

Well, I did the powder coating, so here are some more pictures for your enjoyment.

The parts hot out of the oven (literally!)

I also cleaned up the end of the emitter, and put the saber together. This is the first time where it really "felt" like a lightsaber to me - especially something a sith might carry.

Nice! I have seen this design before... hmnnn maybe the designer shared it on TCSS in the shoutbox...
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

lookin good their can't wait to see it finished

I am supremely impressed! Awesome job, dude.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Nice little lathe/mill combo. I miss having access to machine tools at work!

Well, here is the long-awaited update

I had a very difficult time with the powder coat of the main hilt section. I machined out the grooves, but it left burrs which destroyed some of the powder coat, so I coated again... the cycle repeated several times. I ended up getting some heat-resistant tape (thanks for the pointer, Wade) and masking off the areas I had machined, in order to clean off the messy spots. Here it is, masked and ready to go:

Here it is after coating, having removed the tape and cleaned it up a little bit.

I've also been working on the electronics; the chassis here is simply for the purpose of function, as I'm hoping no one will have to take this saber apart after I finish it. It has helped a lot in keeping things well organized, as does color-coding the wiring.

By the way, the sound board is from the older "build-your-own lightsaber" kit, running with a transistor setup.

I'm hoping to finish this one soon; just a little soldering, a little gluing, and some cram-fu left!

Luke

Very Nice! The last pic with the lathed rings looks very good. I anticipate you'll out do the design on this. Looking forward to seeing it complete. I hope the sound does it justice...maybe it will need a sound upgrade later.