Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dremmel Question

Default Dremmel Question

I am working on my first chrome sink tube shroud and I have issues cutting with the basic cutting wheels, they break a lot. Is their a special one that cuts through the basic 22 gauge sink tube with relative ease?

Thanks

There is a heavier cut-off wheel... it's black and looks like it has some type of fiber reinforcement, it's also a little larger than normal cut-off wheels. It comes in a lot of dremmel toolkits, and it's pretty common anywhere they sell a lot of dremmel attachments. They're much sturdier than the typical cut-off wheel, but they fit on the same mandrel.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

yes it is a reinforced cutting wheel

looks like this ...see picture

Council Member
    Jedi Master

The twist and lock system is more expensive, but the wheels are better and it's easier to change them. The basic reinforced wheels are good, but I found that with cutting anything but a straight line, the wheel wears itself out around the screw post and spins freely. The twist and lock system gets rid of that problem + the wheels are stronger.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crash485 View Post
    I am working on my first chrome sink tube shroud and I have issues cutting with the basic cutting wheels, they break a lot. Is their a special one that cuts through the basic 22 gauge sink tube with relative ease?

Thanks
    If you're getting a lot of wheels breaking, it could also be the way you're using your Dremel, like putting too much pressure on the wheels and forcing the cuts, instead of letting the Dremel itself do the work.

There is also a Heavy Duty cut off wheel that a little thicker than the regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    The twist and lock system is more expensive, but the wheels are better and it's easier to change them. The basic reinforced wheels are good, but I found that with cutting anything but a straight line, the wheel wears itself out around the screw post and spins freely. The twist and lock system gets rid of that problem + the wheels are stronger.
    I've never had that happen to my wheels before. Though I don't cut a lot of shrouds and overlays like you do.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Try carbide bits and go slow. They will last. Dremels can bite easy if not held firmly. I use the router table to combat this.

Thanks for the tips, I think I am going to grab one of the snap and lock systems with the wheels meant for metal.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best money spent for Dremel... ever
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Wow... I'm with JL on this one - luckily have never had this happen to me
    LOCKHEED

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

i've lost count of how many cutting wheels i've shattered cutting things like bolts and computer cases... on that note...

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION!