Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backwards Operation?

Default Backwards Operation?

I finished wiring my first saber with sound today (2007 MR Yoda board), and I'm pretty sure I wired it together correctly (I triple checked), but for some reason when the saber is off the LED is on, but when I turn it on the LED goes off and the sound comes on. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

can you post some pictures and perhaps a diagram of how you have it wired? what kind of switch did you use?

It MIGHT be a "normally open" vs. "normally closed" thing...

This triple-check you did... uh... it needs a quadruple check. From the TCSS members....
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

So... do we have to guess how you soldered it? And which switch you used?

lol... common people... throw us a bone... put some pics up, or a video... some info on what you used, etc...
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

i could try and divine how you built it and why it's failing...

ummm...

you wired the sound to one side of a SPDT switch and the LED to the other side?

you reprogrammed the chip to turn the LED on when of?

you ripped a hole in space time and warped the laws of physics so that LEDs light up when they're off?

O.o

My first thought was just what Nova said, you probably wired it normally open, instead of normally closed (did i put that backwards?) Anyway, check your wiring, and posts pics so we can help.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by equinox13 View Post
    i could try and divine how you built it and why it's failing...

ummm...

you wired the sound to one side of a SPDT switch and the LED to the other side?

you reprogrammed the chip to turn the LED on when of?

you ripped a hole in space time and warped the laws of physics so that LEDs light up when they're off?

O.o
    Humm. No need to get Catty....... Would like a saucer of Milk with that, claws filed or will meow mix do the trick.
    Last edited by Invisas1979; 10-11-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    Humm. No need to get Catty....... Would like a saucer of Milk with that, claws filed or will meow mix do the trick.
    ^_^ i deal in catnip. though some honeyed milk is always good.

seriously though, it SOUNDS like it's wired with one position to the LED and the other position to the soundboard, but without pictures one can only wonder.

Blegh, sorry I'm a little late to respond, but unfortunately, my board is done for. I wish I could take pictures to show off my nooby spaghetti and meatball wiring, but I am lacking a photo graphical device in which one would take pictures with. At least my soundboard was bad to begin with since I beat the h eeee double hockey sticks outta the saber I got it from, so I can't feel terrible about it, but oh well I guess i just have to make a trip to wal-mart for an obi saber.

My first bit of advice, whatever you do don't throw it away. Unless you saw some magic blue smoke near the Black spot, It may still have sound. I personally burnt out a Joe Jedi board that still drove a light.My friend did the same to a Vader That still runs the sound in his personal saber. He uses a different driver for the light. Even if you destroyed the board. The components are useful for upgrades to the economy boards.

My final piece of advise. Go buy a few of the economy boards, and get a decent soldering iron. The lower the heat the better. Cut your teeth on the cheaper boards. Expect to burn out more than one. the cheaper boards are more sensitive. It will teach you patience and give you more of an appreciation for the skill you are learning.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.