Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JB Weld and its use

Default JB Weld and its use

I'm interested in what people have used JB Weld on and if they have any advice on putting it to good use in lightsabers. Pictures are great, as well.

I'm currently using it to make disks for a chassis.

I'd like to hear other's ideas as well.

Thanks!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use it to attach the 1.25" MHS adapter to the 1.25" sinktube. It works great.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I used JB Weld to attach the metal spacers in the milled slots on the lower grip of this Nomi Sunrider inspired saber.

I don't know if you can see the spacers very well or not. This piece, which is no longer carried, was for getting perfect spacing with the T-grips.

Without the T-grips, it made a nicely functional metal grip piece.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I used JB Weld to attach the metal spacers in the milled slots on the lower grip of this Nomi Sunrider inspired saber.

I don't know if you can see the spacers very well or not. This piece, which is no longer carried, was for getting perfect spacing with the T-grips.

Without the T-grips, it made a nicely functional metal grip piece.
    It looks like it belongs (like it is all one piece). Did you sand the parts before using JB Weld, or can you just slap them together and expect a firm hold?

I used it to fix my SS sport exhaust on my mustang.

Tried welding the aluminum bracket to the thing aluminum exhaust tip, but that failed. So i JB-Weld it, and its been holding strong for 2+ years

Beats paying another arm to replace the exhaust tip.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Since I don't do the MHS/flashlight type of threading on my sabers (my lathe is not ideal for that purpose), when I make a saber that is specifically designed to never have electronics installed (fan films anyone?), I usually use JB-Weld to hold it all together. Seems to work quite nicely.

I use it for Ahsoka-ish "gun sights" and pommels (no, those are not "rabbit ears" on Ahsoka's hilt). I also use JB-Weld for deeply inset claws, fake on/off buttons, etc. Here's some examples...

Just the emitter shroud is JB-Welded on this one...

Last edited by ARKM; 10-08-2010 at 09:46 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    It looks like it belongs (like it is all one piece). Did you sand the parts before using JB Weld, or can you just slap them together and expect a firm hold?
    I think you missed what I said about the milled slots, or I wasn't clear.

There are slots milled into the MHS extension. The spacers fit into those slots. It actually said, in the Store description, to use something like JB Weld to hold them on.

I sanded the bottoms of the slots and the spacers with coarse sand paper to rough them up a bit before carefully applying the JB Weld. I didn't want a lot oozing out from the slots that I'd have to clean off before it cured.

I've been using JB Weld for a long time. For household repair work, as well as for prop work.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    I use it to attach the 1.25" MHS adapter to the 1.25" sinktube. It works great.
    I second that. I also use screws as well.

After trying every epoxy in the local hardware store, and finding that none of them worked as well even as hot glue, I finally tried JB weld, and it works great. I used it in multiple applications for the Windu saber I did.

I used the JB weld to hold on the synthetic leather, to hold on the "static buttons" around the collar, and to hold together the multiple layers forming the collar.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Would you suggest it for glueing the ribbed flooring for grips to a saber?