Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What LED choice do I Pick on Ultrasound 2.5?

Thumbs up What LED choice do I Pick on Ultrasound 2.5?

What LED choice do I Pick on Ultrasound 2.5? I am using a royal blue rebel star and a 7.2V batt souce. Thanks
    May the Force Be With Us.... Always!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Use either of the Luxeon III settings.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Isn't that too many volts for that LED with an ultrasound? It would make more sense to me to wire them parallel to have 3.7V which should be plenty and double the run time but I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Isn't that too many volts for that LED with an ultrasound? It would make more sense to me to wire them parallel to have 3.7V which should be plenty and double the run time but I could be mistaken.
    You are correct. Parallel wiring would be the best solution for that. It doesn't matter what soundboard, the LED would be fine with the 3.7V.
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

Thanks. The spec on the ultrasound 2.5 according to tcss says "
    Battery input voltage:
    Maximum for board = 9.6V
    Minimum/Maximum for Luxeon 3, K2, P4 = 4.5V / 7.2V (6V recommended)
    Minimum/Maximum for Luxeon 3,P4 Red/Amber = 4.8V / 6.0V
    Minimum for Luxeon 5 = 7.2V
    IMPORTANT! (be sure to use the correct voltage/power with corresponding LED type)"
    So if I use the luxeon 3 setting then the max voltage could be 7.2 is that correct?

The US runs fine off 6v, trying to run it off of the 3.7 may only give your led ~2.5v

I personally would run it off the pack the way you currently have it setup, it will get a bit warm but its fine.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

The board only uses roughly 1V so that's 6V for your LED way way too much. Anything more then the LED and board will be burnt off as heat. A rebel is comparible to a LUX3 for power requirements from what I've been told. Plus Li-ions are more then 7.2 when fully charged. Like 8V or something. So the only LED to use with 7.2V and a US2.5 is the LuxV.

According to the specs a p4 should be fine on 6V but I had to drop it to 4.8 because it was overheating. The due to space issues I dropped it to a sinlge 3.7 li-ion and it works great and gives 45 minutes runtime easy. It's plenty bright and I even have two accent LEDs.

I wish I could be more accurate but it's not recommended for anything but lux5 with the US 2.5. It doesn't regulate power as well as previous models.

LDM uses 3.7v often for p4 with US2.5 which draw more power then a rebel from what understand. I think he overlooked your voltage.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-10-2010 at 07:33 AM.

I was thinking my lux was a III not a IV. My advice above was based of using one on a lux III. My mistake... listen to Crystal
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Ok thanks, I think I will drop it to a single 3.7V li-ion. but i have three 3.7v 20mA blue accent LED's and two more to illuminate the crystal chamber. What do you think, to many accent LED's?If the us2.5 only uses 1V how much goes to the LED? Doesn't the us2.5 regulate voltage to the main LED, isn't that why you don't need a buck puck? or does it just regulate mA?
    Last edited by joshsummey; 09-10-2010 at 06:05 PM.

I wish I could tell you. I've done this set-up with the 2 accents but that's it. I'm not sure what the extra LEDs will do. Power supply aside you can either wire them direct off the battery which can work as a power indicator, or off the blade LED to get another one that matches the shimmer. These will need resistors but the Blade LED and the two accent pads don't require any.

Bumped it for ya!

Anyone?