Thread: Replica Prop Model 4?

Default Replica Prop Model 4?

I am starting on my first saber-w-sound, and I was trying to find a thread on the Model 4 board from Replica Props (http://www.replicaprops.com/cart2/in...roducts_id=112). It seems that it would be lots easier to just have those guys make one for me than try to track down a custom, hard to get board.
    I have a lots of sound design experience, so I have no trouble creating the wav files it takes. At the low price point (1m-50$, 4m-60$), why am I not finding a thread on this thing? Does it have a nickname, like the Green Goblin or something? Does it suck?
    Last edited by baphomet68; 10-06-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: got price wrong

I don't know much about this particular sound chip, but generally in this hobby you get what you pay for. $60 would be a budget model even if it was mass produced by a major company. This thing has to be configured by the seller, which adds to the cost. That means this chip probably has a quality similar to a cheap electronic toy. At only $60 it isn't much of a risk, and if you bought one as an experiment you could post your results here. However, it isn't hard to find a cheap lightsaber on Ebay to sacrifice for the sound card. You could probably get one for about the same price if you were patient.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

It's $60.....for a chip. No premade PCB, no motion/clash sensors, no LED DRIVER. And no guarantee that it will work as intended even if you were to do all the rest of the work getting it into a board. The chip itself can only handle 3-4.5V which means any board you design will have to use a voltage regulator to protect the chip. Then, you'd have to know how to make an LED driver to go with it. What controls the LED driver? Not this chip obviously, as it is mostly just a simple player. Sort of like another soundboard out there..... Seems silly when you can get an FX soundboard for that or less shipped. and it will drive an LED, or a ladder blade, probably sound better and all on a board that fits in most hilts. Hell, a 2010 Eco' board might sound better and you can get those for $16. But, if you are a tinkerer type, by all means build a board and saber around this chip and show us what it can do. Im always interested in new things.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    It's $60.....for a chip. No premade PCB, no motion/clash sensors, no LED DRIVER. And no guarantee that it will work as intended even if you were to do all the rest of the work getting it into a board. The chip itself can only handle 3-4.5V which means any board you design will have to use a voltage regulator to protect the chip. Then, you'd have to know how to make an LED driver to go with it. What controls the LED driver? Not this chip obviously, as it is mostly just a simple player. Sort of like another soundboard out there..... Seems silly when you can get an FX soundboard for that or less shipped. and it will drive an LED, or a ladder blade, probably sound better and all on a board that fits in most hilts. Hell, a 2010 Eco' board might sound better and you can get those for $16. But, if you are a tinkerer type, by all means build a board and saber around this chip and show us what it can do. Im always interested in new things.
    +1, listen to FenderBender, he knows the way of the force
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

for that price.. might as well buy an Arduino.. its cheaper!.. (and you'll still need to do all the rest of the stuff mentioned as well)..

Looks like a 'generic' slimmed down, static (pre-programmed) version of the ReplicantFX chip..