Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Plasti-Dip for Grips?

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

when i was in south carolina i knew a guy that used the cheap spray on rhino-liner clone stuff. he didn't sand his truck bed down and it just peeled right off the first time he threw some stuff in the back. i just hoped the real stuff was a bit tougher, especially if you roughed up the surface a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RoqueSaber View Post
    For the heat shrink, where would you recommend buying it?
    Tim sells heatshrink, you wont find an answer here. Try googling...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I would save yourself the hassle and the money and use something other than plasti-dip. The coating goes on uneven, and it ends up coming off too easily.
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by RoqueSaber View Post
    @AKRM: That looks pretty cool. Do you know how well the adhesive sticks to a metal hilt, or should I just use the adhesive to hold it temporarily and then screw it in?
    I have some but unfortunately I have not tried any on a hilt yet. As such, I cannot vouch for the strength of the adhesive. Sorry.

I'm sure it would work well as small pieces that fit into indentations but inset flush or not, it may not work well when wrapped all the way around the hilt.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    Tim sells heatshrink, you wont find an answer here. Try googling...
    TCSS doesn't sell heatshrink large enough for hilts only wires so large heatshrink is not a competing product...I did mention it in the wish list a while back though since no stores around here seem to carry it in any sizes larger than 1/2".

I agree, however... if a site that sold large heatshrink were to be linked, said site would almost definitely sell smaller sized heatshrink like what IS sold in the store... no?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I found some 1-1/2" heatshrink on amazon. Leather grips and others can be glued on with contact cement so you don't have to use screws. I read somewhere that Fender has used a 3M tape tht works the same as contact cement but you can cut it out... Hope this helps!
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

ive used herculiner and it works on pvc since you can sand it before the apply, not so good on aluminum hilts if not coating the whole piece, doesnt work at all on brass or chrome

I've used spray-on truck bed liner, it works much better than plasti-dip. In my experience it works pretty well, even on aluminum and sink tube, but especially on PVC. (You do need to rough up the surface before spraying, though.) The stuff I used came in a large red spray can, from wal-mart, I think.

Here's a saber I made a few years ago where I used it.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.