Thread: Removing a MR board from a saber

Default Removing a MR board from a saber

Any suggestions for getting it out of its plastic housing without damaging it?

I looked around but I couldn't find a thread within a reasonable amount of pages.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Which model?

Most times, I just use the hobby razor to cut the seam and then on the open end take my diagonal cutters to split the end at the seam and pull it apart.

I always keep the half the soundboard is in, as it fits in MHS just great and serves the same purpose.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I was worried about using my dremel to get it apart because of the close proximity, but I went ahead and dremeled it open, and just like you said, I kept the bottom half intact (and the back 1/4 inch where the back disk is at). I chipped away at it piece by piece until I got it to where I could snap the top part off. I didn't cut all the way through. Just enough to be able to pry it apart.

It was a 2005 Vader ESB.

I know you got it done, Seth. This is just for information's sake.

Here is what I did.

Firstly I cut off the triagngular tab with the yellow sticker on it.
    I put it in my vice and then slowly started going backwards and forwards with the cut off wheel just above the seams. This meant that if I accidentally went too far I wouldn't chop through the board straight away.
    If you do this MAKE SURE you cut the side the board DOES NOT screw into, otherwise you are an idiot.
    I did this on both sides and then just pulled off what was left of the seams.

This meant I could still have the board screwed into the sled, makes life easier. I was using an anakin board, so I had to sand down that sled a bit to make it fit inside my MHS. But the ease of use was worth it.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    If you do this MAKE SURE you cut the side the board DOES NOT screw into, otherwise you are an idiot.
    I LOL'd ^.^

Yeah, I kept that triangular tab in case I wanted to use the speaker/battery pack in the future. It seems like a pretty good combo. It's good to get other people's way of doing it, so I can perfect my technique next time.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, I don't use the dremel cause it stinks like poo to cut that stuff, and I can crack 'em open quick like nowadays. It's like eating lobster! Now where did I put the drawn butter........

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thats true with the stink of that plastic. Even through my mask I got tiny bits in my throat, was sore for hours lol.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
    yeah, i don't use the dremel cause it stinks like poo to cut that stuff, and i can crack 'em open quick like nowadays. It's like eating lobster:d! Now where did i put the drawn butter........
    lol

i always used a hot knife, opened up the casings like butter