Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need suggestions for costume for my wife.

Not a jedi, but...

Jan Ors? from the video games?

Last edited by cannibal869; 10-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Cool Feminism or Reality?

I thought I'd address this thread's topic with a little insight. I am an active duty USN sailor with a little bit of joint forces experience and have seen what women wear as uniform and when given a choice.
    First we'll start with the stereotypical "heroine" from most sci-fi, fantasy, comic-book etc... template: 1.) Physically fit 2.) attractive 3.) wears ***y clothes 4.) comes in only two varieties a. quiet and wise b. fiery and aggressive. Now we'll look at the ones that break the norm: 1.) Massively muscled, overweight, tall etc... 2.) All about business and/or besting the guys she is surrounded by.
    In category one you have Some of the following: Leia Organa, Ahsoka Tano, Bariss Offee, Shaak Ti, etc.... In category two you have: The six-breasted Askajian dancer from ROJ, Bothan women, Various Jedi Council Members, etc.....
    These categories overlap a little to give you a smaller group that I like to call the "Field Women". These field women are just like the ones in the military. Mostly, having to do athletic deeds of dexterity, they are physically fit (a few might be amazonian, and carry big guns and/or come from a laborious back history, think Nebraska farm or Gammorean village) and in the context of Jedi and their one-for-one rivals, they serve in an "Officer" type role, further demanding a physically fit appearance. (C'mon, did you think that military organizations just gave up standards because they were on Yavin or the Death Star?).
    Now lets look at what they wear: USN,USA,USCG,USMC Officer field women, being all human, and physically fit, have curves and definition where men don't. This makes them easily identifiable to the males, and requires special tailoring to achieve comfort. BY DEFINITION this will be "***y" to human males. Apply that to other species from star wars, and any overlap of similar qualities "appears" ***y to human males. Twi'lek's head tails are extensively lauded as physical, emotional, ***ual objects in the Star Wars Canon and don't fit this template (they are always exposed, and not human-like) so the Twi'lek females are not dressed as skimpy as human females when wearing the same clothes, because their ***uality is not the same as ours. However that is not the point here. Women by nature will exude some form of ***ual identification if they are not wrapped head to toe (think burkha), and thus be ***y, to some degree.
    Now combine that with the previous mentioned attributes and it leaves only one question. Why so scantily clad? Well, that's where my insight comes in. Having changed physical fitness dress standards about a dozen times, I can tell you that one thing has never changed. The majority of women I've known that do dexterous and athletic work, like minimal and form fitting gear to work out in and if possible to do work in. If you catch a glimpse of any weapons obstacle course run where the uniform top is not required to be worn, you'll probably find that the women lose the top more often than the men and their undershirts look much tighter than the men's (not because they are, but because we men don't have anything accentuating the tightness except some cases of exceptional pec's). I can't give any accurate numbers, but I have to think that the one odd woman who prefers saber wielding and force-jumping around in baggy garments is maybe one in twenty? So, the majority of them would have tight and probably skimpy outfits, even despite the cold. An old friend of mine, Claudia, was a foreign exchange student from Germany. She loved to wear skirts, even in the winter, and countered the cold with these knee high furry boots and a faux-fur coat. When we asked her how she could wear such skimpy clothing in the winter she simply said it's not skimpy and that as long as she was warm, then who cared? In her pictures from Germany, most of her Friends were like that too.
    So, to make a long story short, they are scantily clad because of what they do! (For the Record, Leia was only scantily clad by force, Ahsoka just wears a skirt and short sleeves, and Amidala was only depicted in revealing clothes while Anakin visited her at her country estate)

What does that have to do with a member looking for a costume for his wife? Especially in a topic that is almost exactly a year old so it's likely the original poster will never see it? J-Lo, can we get a lock?

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Your first post in a lightsaber forum is in this old costume thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    What does that have to do with a member looking for a costume for his wife? Especially in a topic that is almost exactly a year old so it's likely the original poster will never see it? J-Lo, can we get a lock?
    Yep. This thread is now locked.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!