Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aden Kotra - A custom Petit Crouton Saber

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Aden Kotra - A custom Petit Crouton Saber

Hello Saberland!

Showing off a new saber from the Vault. This saber was created from bringing a customers drawing to life. It is always a satisfying thing to bring something from the page into the material realm and then fire it up. When we got the drawing from our customer, he described it as a collage of different sabers he liked: Qui Gon's, Dooku's, Luke/Obi and our own Morning Star. One of the unique features that stood out for us is the control box at the bottom of the hilt that went from the pommel (taking the place of one of the nub/cube protrusions) and extending over the hilt to house the recharge port and lighted anti-vandal switch. This was a great feature and we think it adds a lot to the aesthetics of the saber. The crowning feature for us on this saber is that it is our first install of a Petit Crouton soundboard into a custom saber. Our original prototype was only installed in a half hilt and was a "blind" board (no LED driver) so it was great to finally be able to utilize and play with a fully armed and operational soundcard For those of you unfamiliar with the Petit Crouton, head over the the Plecter Labs section of the FX-Sabers forums and look for the thread there detailing it's inception and purpose.

Quick Specs:

Custom Pommel and control box
    Hand cut powder coated overlays
    Exposed Raw Quartz crystal chamber
    lighted anti-vandal switch
    2 sequenced accent LEDs recessed in the hilt
    Inlaid neoprene grip strips in milled channels
    Plecter Labs/ISG/JSSDC Petit Crouton Soundcard V1.4
    LEDengin 5W Amber LED run at 1.5A
    3.7V 18650 Li-Ion battery pack

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKjlkGyXc0

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Looks great Fender, I like the individuality of it, Keep up the good work

Very nice hilt. Lots of different stuff going on with that one.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Love it! And an amber LED too! Not many of those.
    Any chance we can get a shot of the hilt in the same position as the drawing?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thumbs up

Always love your stuff!!
    LOCKHEED

Hilt in the same position as the drawing. That's a great idea. Not sure why we didn't think about it. We'll try to get that shot before it gets packed up to its new home.

Fender and Allaerra,
    Wonderful work and detail on that saber. Excellent styling and use of the neoprene grips, impecable detailing, very well 'mixed' (as in, having a nice flow from one piece to the next), and a great use of the control box.

I'm very curious as to how the pommel is removed?

EDIT: I chuckled at the review video - 7m35s of praising the PC (rightfully so) and 2m30s of reviewing the saber, haha The PC really is a great board.
    Last edited by RevengeoftheSeth; 09-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Really likin the lower half of that hilt. I think the saber feels it's in the shade of the PC through the video.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Yeah, we did talk a lot about the PC. Mostly, that was done so that our customers have a vid that we can link them to for info and demo purposes. Sorry it's more chatty than *snap hiss, vroom-whoosh*....er...y.

Thanks for the complements guys, its always fun bringing someones drawing to life.

I like those grips too, though they are a pain in the nether regions to do, and even more so to cut and attach all the little strips. But the end result is worth it I guess

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Nice saber. I like that PC. it is nice to finally see what you guys did with one.