Thread: Lithium ion charger

Default Lithium ion charger

Is this charger the same as a Li-po charger? I have a charger for my RC that is for Li-po. It will charge the Trustfire 18650 with no problems yes?

I see you have constructed a new light saber, your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful; as the Emperor has foreseen.

Check My Gallery on Skydrive

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, you need to get the Li-ion charger in the store.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

So what is the difference between a Li-po and a Li-ion charger? The one here in the store says it will do both, so what makes it so my Li-po charger I already have will not work?

I see you have constructed a new light saber, your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful; as the Emperor has foreseen.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The main difference between the store charger and others is that is is "Universal" It was made to be able to chage multiple voltages, and polymer Batts.

What I am afraid of is that your charger won't charge your 18650's correctly, and if they don't... Bye bye electronics...

Batteries is one place I don't skimp out on, especially Raw batteries that we are making packs out of. If I were you I'd buy the store charger to be safe, even if the other one would work, rather than be sorry later one.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

So what is the difference between a Li-po and a Li-ion charger? The one here in the store says it will do both, so what makes it so my Li-po charger I already have will not work?
    Well..... When you post no information at all on said chargers. OR battery pack. That makes it kind of difficult to figure.

To be safe I would go with the recommended smart charger for your pack

Ok for specifics...

it is a Thunder power Li-po charger (TP-425)

http://www.aeromicro.com/catalog/thu...er_3752218.htm

the pack I plan to use will be 2x18650

so does this look like what I need? or still better to get another charger?

Well... lets look at the first line of the description shall we?
    TP-425 charger is specially designed to charge Lithium-Polymer Battery Only. Do NOT attempt to charge any other batteries such as Ni-Cd, or Ni-MH, and SLA battery.
    So your answer is....

no.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

The specs are right for 3.7v cells so it could work. I myself prefer chargers without different settings tho. Its too easy to bump a button and destroy everything. Defiantly if you use this do not charge over 1 amp.

Oh well I guess I just need to buy the one listed here. As in the saber I make for myself will have 2 of the 18650 (assuming I can cram them in) and the one I make for my wife will have to use some other setup, as it has a shorter hilt. The point is I guess better safe than sorry.

I purchased a li-ion universal smart charger from amazon .com the same one from the shop used it to charge my 14500 side by side pack the green light comes on letting me know its full when I pull the charger from the port I get no boot sound from my pc1.5 I take everything back out of the saber to check my wiring and everything is fine so I grab a 4 aaa pack and it works I dont want to go with this setup so I get out a 2 cell holder and pop in 2 single li-ions they are dead so I charged them and get the same result Im guessing something is not right with this charger I dont understand it ive got it set to charge a 7.4v pack and everything if anybody can help it would be great and thanks in advance