Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Exar Kun Jedi Lightsaber by eastern57

another win man~! Excellent job!
    ...YUP!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by polarcupz View Post
    Did you use an epoxy for the front of the hilt? Oh, and does the back part slide around? Looks like it is in different positions in the pics?
    Yeah dude, The front... Third? I guess, is shaped with the epoxy putty. Originally, it was a tube with random stuff glued to it, it was pretty ugly. But it's been smoothed a lot.

And didn't you watch the video? It's spring-loaded, so that the grip rotates to conceal the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    I really like your use of the um... cracks? Might i suggest adding a little black enamel or something to make them pop?

Also, please do explain further on the CC and reveal... ME LIKEY!!!
    I know what you're saying, but the "etching" [read as: giant gouges] really does stand out a lot more IRL.

Chamber, eh? hmm, it's pretty much just what I said: random parts. The copper part attached to the ruler is from a dremel motor... 3/4" blade tube, wires, metal, brass, plastic, fiber - all just glued together in what I thought was a coherent appearance, and then painted and weathered.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Great job! I really like the chamber and reveal. I'm not sure what's new about the recharge port in the pommel but the emitter plug style insert works well. I considered a similar idea conceptually myself.

Banned Sith Lord

very nice man. im currently working on the double version of an exar kun. ill finish it when i get back in the shop. ive never seen this variation of it. and i like it alot. i love what you did with the crystal chamber. you did a fantastic job!

quick question: did you use an LED driver on your LED? or did you wire it straight up to the 18650? its a 3.4 v LED so im sure it could handle a direct drive at 3.7 volts no problem. or did you resistor it? just curious if you used a driver or not.
    Last edited by DJMoonbass; 09-22-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I'm not sure what's new about the recharge port in the pommel...
    Who said it's a new idea?

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    quick question: did you use an LED driver on your LED? or did you wire it straight up to the 18650?
    Yes, it's direct driven - straight off the battery. I recommend you check the current output on your cell before you hook it up directly. Some cells put out a little more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Who said it's a new idea?
    I guess it's the first time I've heard LDM get credit for a recharge in pommel.

I just watched it again and I somehow missed just how small the OD of this hilt is. Do you think it could fit an econoboard? LED driver? Not knowing how the layers are constructed it's hard to tell what's left for interior space
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-23-2010 at 01:13 AM.

No the recharge port also acts as the switch IIRC.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Correct. I was crediting LDM with using the recharge port kill feature as the main activation. Not a terribly complicated maneuver, but it was a clever one, and he was the first one (that I saw) do it.

The ID is 7/8", I might be able to fit something, but I did try.