Thread: Simple question regarding Lux I's

Default Simple question regarding Lux I's

Hey guys, been a while since I was here. I had an idea to use my leftover Lux I's to add underlighting to my bed. I was going to use a 12vDC 500ma inverter to power 4 LEDs. The Lux I is rated at 3V, 350mA. The voltages would work out perfectly, but would 500mA fry these little things? I know a Lux III could handle an extra 500mA, but an extra 150mA is almost a 43% current increase.

As I know it, these Lux I's are less refined than Lux III's, so I'm concerned about the tolerance for extra juice.
    Any input?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

If the voltage is shared, isn't the current shared as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RevengeoftheSeth View Post
    If the voltage is shared, isn't the current shared as well?
    Yes, but unlike with voltage, when LED's are wired in series, the same current runs through all of the LEDs. When wired in parallel, the Current would split between the LEDs but the voltage would remain constant.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

kind of like this:

Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Ah-ha! I get it, now.

So do you put the + from the battery to the first + on LED A, then run the - from LED A to the + on LED B and so on, like with speakers?

yes that is the difference between series and parallel seth

you should be fine with 500ma of current to he luxeon I's. I used a few 500ma micropucks in those pvc sabers I did a few years ago, and those led's are still working just fine.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Great, thanks, Jay-Gonn!
    -Benjamin Franklin