Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LED comes on as soon as power is supplied

I'm obviously missing something..what's the difference between a sound bank and a font? Then again I am looking at V5.

Why would each font or soundbank have different switches?
    Otherwise the switch config file would cover all fonts and be next to the prefs or revision text file
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-17-2010 at 06:16 AM.

It's not that each soundbank/font has different switches. Each one just has the switch parameter so it can "control" the board, since only one bank can be loaded at any given time. I hope my explanation clears things up. I don't really know a better way to explain it. I'm sure that someone else with better verbiage will chime in.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Crystal what they mean is that each bank has its own little config file.

This means that you must alter all of them to have the same settings.

Since you can only have 1 bank loaded at a time, it does not really cause an issue, but you must remember that you need to configure ALL of them (if you want).

At least thats what i'm getting from what people posted. CF sounds like a fun little card to play with, reminds me of my electronic classes in University hehe. It also seems Erv kept it really basic so people can easily change settings.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Crystal what they mean is that each bank has its own little config file.

This means that you must alter all of them to have the same settings.

Since you can only have 1 bank loaded at a time, it does not really cause an issue, but you must remember that you need to configure ALL of them (if you want).

At least thats what i'm getting from what people posted. CF sounds like a fun little card to play with, reminds me of my electronic classes in University hehe. It also seems Erv kept it really basic so people can easily change settings.
    The above post is correct.

I will echo what Novastar is saying here in that the most important thing when working with CF (other than the actual skill to solder it correctly) is the patience to read the manual and actually learn the manual. Believe me, there are many little things that must be done correctly for the board to work properly. None are hard to do, but all are necessary.

A little hint: If you need to wire it up without changing the config files, then use a latching switch for on/off and a tactile for aux (that is the stock setting of switch=0)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Arg. *sigh*

* Each "bank_" folder has its own config.txt file
    * Each config.txt file tells CF how to behave per any given bank
    * You MUST use a momentary switch for the AUX button... you have no choice. The switch parameter refers to the POWER ON button, which can be latching N/O, latching N/C, or momentary
    * If you have "switch=0" in bank1... it will behave as such during the usage of the saber while it is in that mode...
    * If you have "switch=2" in bank4... it will behave as such during the usage of the saber while it is in that mode...
    * A "sound bank" refers to the directories on CF where you can install pretty much any sound FONT you like. The bank holds the files--it's essentially a directory

* NO, there are no "universal" or "global" configuration file settings. Sorry. Besides, the only ones that would make sense to be global would be essentially the power on switch. Most everything else might be something a user would like to change from bank to bank... per any given sound fonts in said banks.

It's true that all this SOUNDS complicated... but it really isn't once you do what LDM/Grevious said, which is... read the manual.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

So i did understand it hehe...

You guys are making me want to get a CF, JUST so i can play with it

I read the manual and I understand it loud and clear. I just can't see any purpose for having one bank require one switch and another require another. Like blackstar using latching, and novastar using mom for example.

Don't look at it as multiple banks. Look at it as one bank.
    The Crystal Focus can only load one bank at a time.
    The user has to tell the board what kind of switch it is.
    It's just a bonus that we get to have six banks.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I read the manual and I understand it loud and clear. I just can't see any purpose for having one bank require one switch and another require another. Like blackstar using latching, and novastar using mom for example.
    LOL, they don't "require" a different switch config. Since you have so many choices of sound fonts, you simply need to make sure that the switch config in each of the six that are in the saber at any given point in time have the same switch config. "Out of the box" the switch=0 for ALL fonts. This means that if you just pop a font in it will require that the saber have an N/C latching switch. If your saber has a tactile switch as your on/off switch, then you need to change said font's switch=0 to switch=2.

I sure hope this makes sense, lol.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Oh it totally does. Maybe this is a question better answered by Erv. Like Nova said about there not being any "global" or "universal" config files, then the reason is not so much about being able to change the switch config for each soundbank, but a limitation due to how the CF is designed which I'm sure is a worthy compromise.