Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Valoury MHS/sinktube hybrid

Default Valoury MHS/sinktube hybrid

Hey everyone!

After many headaches, mistakes, and a few other saber builds, I'm finally ready to present my first saber....

Valoury

For a first build I bit off more then I could chew. Lacking the patience to finish it, I moved on to learn from other builds knowing I could finish it later....well later has finally arrived! I found inspiration for this build from many sabers. Mostly the graflex and the Killer Penny. Most of the sinktube "hybridness" of it is inspired by Jaygon's tutorials. I've never seen anyone use the lips on the sinktube the way I did here. With all the resonating space in the choke and top section this saber is soooo loud.
    Since I didn't have much experience with a soldering iron I oxidized my tip and ended up burning one of the pads on my US 2.5. Many members came to my aid with great advice which help me salvage the board which now works great.
    Thanks guys!

Features
    modified MHS/sinktube hybrid
    BH1 - modified
    MHS extension tube cut in half with 1.25" sinktube choke
    1.5" brass sinktube overlays
    1 - 3.7V li-ion battery with built in recharge port (thanks for the tips LDM)
    US 2.5
    Blue P4 LED
    MHS premium - reverse sound style facing custom choke
    Lit pommel
    Lit sound vents
    34" thick walled trans white blade with 3-4 feet poly-p and 3/4" mirror

Another reason I delayed to post this after finishing, aside from fussing with the killkey, was I wanted to wait till I got the best pics. With weather the way it's been with hurricanes and all I threw this together. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the grip sliding to reveal a window in the MHS to the sound board but it's really not a big deal. Just a convenient way to reduce some weight. One thing I would like to improve although I'm just being fussy, is the blade needs more poly-p in it. It's bright and kind of even aside from the base flare but you know how cameras can be.

Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-23-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

That looks great Crystal, I like it alot, another great saber you have there

That is one sweet saber.

The killkey is the only thing that I don't like, the rest of the saber, the layered shrouds, the sinktube cuts, everything..

Nice work.

Another goodie there crystal.

I'm starting to feel like I've not done anything in a reallllllly long time, considering you've popped out three this year so far.

Just curious, how were the lips on the shrouds done?

Also why have you left the two upper overlays raised or is that just the camera?
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

I LOVE the killkey, i think that the difficulty you have had with this build gives this saber a sense of "soul" or purpose. This definitely fits with the ArcAngel Armory name, it seems to me almost one of those "heavenly" sabers wielded by a Jedi Angel

I love the use of parts and find this a truly inspiring saber as well as a pleasure to look at
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post

Just curious, how were the lips on the shrouds done?
    Looks to me like they were part of the original lip on the brass tailpiece used to make the shroud/sleeves from.

This is a very nice saber, Crystal! Impressive, most impressive!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks guys! Great feedback so far.

Invisas1979- I'm not sure what you mean about the overlays being raised but to give you a better idea of what you're looking at, I used 5 - 6" sinktubes which all had this lip on one end. 2 lips to sandwich the grip section and 3 for the blade holder to cut as the s curve-ish type shroud and the two smaller overlays on top. They're all tight and flush accept how the lip flips.

I did them on a belt sander mounted in a vice upside down and just rolled it around the lip area. Easy way to get a smooth s curve by the way. After that I filed and sanded them a little but aside from rough dremel cuts most of it was just a belt sander.

Edit...Jay-gon answers for me so simply while I type this big description..lol...thanks!
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-15-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Looks good. I really like the emitter end of the saber.

Can you tell me why you went with a 32in blade? Kinda short no?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Thanks guys! Great feedback so far.

Invisas1979- I'm not sure what you mean about the overlays being raised but to give you a better idea of what you're looking at, I used 5 - 6" sinktubes which all had this lip on one end. 2 lips to sandwich the grip section and 3 for the blade holder to cut as the s curve-ish type shroud and the two smaller overlays on top. They're all tight and flush accept how the lip flips.

I did them on a belt sander mounted in a vice upside down and just rolled it around the lip area. Easy way to get a smooth s curve my the way. After that I filed and sanded them a little but aside from rough dremel cuts most of it was just a belt sander.

Edit...Jay-gon answers for me so simply while I type this big description..lol...thanks!
    Your answer is much more in-depth, though!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Again a very inspiring and well executed saber CC - way to go!