Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MHS Ben Kenobi ANH "Tunisia Version" w. C.F. 4.31 - By Caine

Talking MHS Ben Kenobi ANH "Tunisia Version" w. C.F. 4.31 - By Caine

"Wow...just wow."

That was one of my quotes back in May 2009 regarding LDM and Judge’s epic MHS Obi. Also, Madcow’s custom C.F Obi was the first C.F. saber I had ever seen, and I loved everything about it. At the time, I was dreaming of owning such a saber, and originally when I commissioned my first C.F. build with LDM, it was to be an Obi…but the Luke V2 took precedence for many reasons (mainly the proper ribbed/choke combo availability) and I became the Luke V2 guy we all know and hopefully like.

But this saber was always in the back of my mind…and with the recent release of the TCSS grenade/choke combo, I felt that the timing was right…and after some research and lots of questions asked to many a saber master builder, here it is….

MHS Ben Kenobi ANH “Tunisia Version”

This saber came out far better than I ever expected. From the weathering (my black belt in weather-fu was earned I feel) and the overall internal wiring (my first C.F. install) this is truly my first unicorn brought to life.

HILT SPECS

Basically, my goal was to achieve the look of what a prop master put together for Uncle George’s “little space movie” in 1976. He just found some random parts from a camera flash, a grenade, a machine gun, a part from an engine and a faucet handle that all happened to fit together and look good enough for the “crazy old wizard’s laser sword” The infamous “Tunisia Version” (thanks beggarsoutpost for informing me about that particular version) was the one that Alec Guinness wore on his belt during all exterior scenes in Tunisia, which was different from the saber used in all interior scenes/saber fights. However, that saber had more of a blackened emitter, grenade and booster section…and that’s what I didn’t want…that was kinda boring to me. Instead, I went for a look that the saber would have had if it were neglected for the 20 years of Obi-Wan’s self imposed exile. If this saber was exposed to sunlight, some oxidation and other desert elements, this is how I feel it would look. I even asked other people unfamiliar with the saber at all what it looked like the hilt had been thru…and all said “weathered…exposed to sun…exposed to oxidation
    (the rust)…just the answers I wanted.

Weathering achieved via the following methods:

*Pieces charred with a lighter, baked in the oven at 450 degrees for an hour, and then the char rinsed off…this process was repeated until I got
    the results I wanted (Blade Holder and Graflex Clamp)
    *Soaked in Aluminum Black metal stain, achieving an “old” look (Gear section)
    *Rubbed with Aluminum black, followed by 2 coats of iron paint, followed by a rusting solution, producing real rust, scrubbed down with nail polish
    remover, then coated with 2 layers of clear coat and finally one coat of epoxy clear coat (V-grooved/choke combo)
    Motorolla transistors on the clamp (what was used on the real prop)

WHAT’S UNDER THE HOOD

Crystal Focus 4.31
    Seoul P4 Blue over driven at 1.5 a
    (2) 14500 (7.4 V) Li-ion battery solution
    Recessed switch under bubble strip/bubble strip pressured aux button. (perfect for easy saberplay access)
    Blue blinking LED in pommel
    Blue blinking LED indicator in the bubble strip

Special thanks to all my friends that helped me in this/influenced me: erv', Novastar, LDM, Allerea Secura, Madcow, JudgeSabersmith.

I hope this ranks among the top MHS Obi’s out there, although that wasn’t my intention, rather than to have my other dream saber. Thanks for reading/watching, and saber play hard y’all!

YouTube Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQ1cqPDrLY
    Last edited by Caine Drathul; 09-28-2010 at 11:49 PM.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Good job Caine, you and LDM love the old Obi-Wan saber don't ya.

I like this version more than most because the weathering is very good and makes the saber stand out from the others.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Thumbs up Perfection

I have this kinda build in mine for my V5..

The weathering is awesome...

The saber itself.. Unbelieveable...

Great work..

But wouldn't the #BH8 more screen-accurate?

Well you definitely got me reading on this one. Great weathering for sure. This style saber isn't the same without it. Congrats on your first CF install!

BH8 would work well. Asking Tim to customize a BH would work too.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-14-2010 at 09:48 AM.

that looks yummy
    ...YUP!

Thanks folks.

I didn't use BH 8 on purpose. I like how the grooves in the neck of BH 16 resemble that of the windvane of the actual prop. Plus, my Obi AFBB has a BH8, and I like my sabers just a little bit different that each other in some way or another.

Very nice job Caine! Very nice indeed!
    Now if only I could actually *source* a CF...
    LOCKHEED

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    Very nice job Caine! Very nice indeed!
    Now if only I could actually *source* a CF...
    I think that is many a saber enthusiast's wish.

BTW, how is your Sith Obi?

(FYI, I used the RebelScum link that you had provided regarding that saber's weathering to use some of those techniques on this build...so thanks, dude!)

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    I think that is many a saber enthusiast's wish.

BTW, how is your Sith Obi?

(FYI, I used the RebelScum link that you had provided regarding that saber's weathering to use some of those techniques on this build...so thanks, dude!)
    hahaha LOL you know after I saw yours, I had to go and look up the pics of my sith obi. It's doing well, although I think I may revise the electronics and get rid of the relay - maybe put in a transistor instead

And yes, apparently, the weathering DIY was invaluable for both of us!

-C
    LOCKHEED