Thread: Weathering ?

Default Weathering ?

Can someone point me in the right direction to weathering an aluminum saber? I'd like it to look like starkiller's saber is weathered

kick it down the road a bit, or maybe toss it around with a box of gravel. Seriously...

There isn't really a tutorial on how to weather a saber since people use different techniques to achieve different looks... Some people bake olive oil (and possibly coffee?) onto the hilt for a rusty look. Mostly, you will just have to accelerate what would happen naturally over time. abrasions and scuffing are mostly what you will be after, but you can easily achieve dings and deeper scratches too!

Just use your imagination!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

scrape it, roll it on the ground, slash it with a hack saw, sand it, ding it with a screw driver, get creative!

I just posted my weathered saber, check it out and maybe youll get some more ideas..visual aids help a lot!

Youngling

give it to a 7yr and let them go to town...

One of the best (and easiest) ways to weather a saber is with what is called a "wash".

Essentially this is a mix of flat black paint and paint thinner. Try mixing 50/50 or 70/30 for different effects. The wash sits in the cracks grooves and scratches and dries there.

MC

Also I have found for making aluminum and brass look old just wrap your hand in like 800 grit sandpaper (grit out obviously) and use it like you would normally this give honest wear marks where your hand holds are, and mimics the abrasion from use.
    Also heat from a torch or even a grill can impart a good patina

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Here's a weathering tutorial. But I like what everyone else has said: be creative, do whatever.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6292

For instance soak it with pickles and then bury it in kitty litter and let it ripen..lol Just kidding. In one post on weathering I think it was Novastar who said "Talk mean to it"...lol

I think there should be a gallery thread dedicated to weathering.

I've had my Nameless saber for over 18 months now and from handling alone the saber is starting to look old, it helps that it has a copper scroud which naturally oxidises from handling.

There is also gun bluing and rusting agents which will give a great weathered look.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

First, understand the weathering you're trying to achieve. There are in fact several tutorials in the forums that will help you along your way. Scratching it up with various tools never really seems to produce a weathered look but a mishandled one. Even Kenobi's A New Hope model wasn't scoured with scratches all over the place. My only definite advice is stay away from that approach. It doesn't look like realistic weathering.